Puzzling noise

bronxtale1978

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2004 1.8t quattro and have approx 900 miles on it. I have heard a puzzling slight clink clink only after starting up the car and going foward or backward after approx 4 or 5 seconds. When i do the same movements (i.e. backing up and then straightening out or going foward from stop with the engine running I do NOT hear the sound, seems only after startup and going). I have been told it could be the ABS system tapping to test? I have no other problems or noises after this initial sound while driving. Any suggestions, can it be the ABS?
Thanks in advance

Have you checked your owner's manual? You should find a section on the ABS in there, including reference to a self-diagnostic check, accompanied by an audible noise, just after starting up.

I had the same problems on my 99.5. Well for me, it was a simple problem, my skid plate(not the one connected to the front bumper) but the one that connect to that(the plate that must be removed to change the oil). Well what had happened was that one of the securing screws weren't tight and came loose, and made a clink clink clink noise from under the car. I checked around and fully retighted that screw and the noise was gone. I'm not saying its the same thing but that is something to check(if you have a lower skid plate) Hopefully that might help.

[ QUOTE ]
Audi_A4_Quattro said:
I had the same problems on my 99.5. Well for me, it was a simple problem, my skid plate(not the one connected to the front bumper) but the one that connect to that(the plate that must be removed to change the oil). Well what had happened was that one of the securing screws weren't tight and came loose, and made a clink clink clink noise from under the car. I checked around and fully retighted that screw and the noise was gone. I'm not saying its the same thing but that is something to check(if you have a lower skid plate) Hopefully that might help.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you find that you only heard clink clink after startup?

i would start up the car and would sould like i had the front sway bar loose, and when i would begin to accelerate, the noise would go faster but once i would hit 10mph, the noise was gone. But when i was going and noise was gone, once i started to brake the noise was back. The noise was at its loudest from dead stop to low speed acceleration, and braking at low speed deceleration.

I think it is different....This is when i first start the car and maybe 3 or 4 seconds I hear a tap tap noise...then it is gone....i've tried doing the same movements with the car started and it does not make the noise...like i said only after startup...weird stuff....thanks though for your help