My new A4 Project

Drizz

Project Plush
Reaction score
Well heres the Astra's replacement, The VR6 Sister and my reason for leaving the Vauxhall mainstream. Welcome to project plush:
17092008085.jpg

17092008086.jpg

17092008087.jpg

17092008088.jpg

17092008089.jpg

Ganted its not very plush right now, but ive decided id like to spend my time on something different. So bored of Vauxhalls. Plan is either an S3, S4 or VR6 Turbo transplant, and lots of cleaning, rimmage, retrims etc. For the £300 i paid its a bargain and a good place to start!

So what's the budget for Project Plush?

Is it going to be a motorway cruiser, a shopping trolley or a stripped out track killer?

good price, excuse my ignorance how is it siezed due to sitting in one place? or valves bent/cambelt snapped?

What car is the 2.0 out of then? Oil pump failed so it run dry. I have about £4k to play with initially but i can spend more over time. Itll be a project in the workshop, so can sit there as long as it needs to for all the plans to be done...

What car is the 2.0 out of then? Oil pump failed so it run dry. I have about £4k to play with initially but i can spend more over time. Itll be a project in the workshop, so can sit there as long as it needs to for all the plans to be done...

a 2.0l conversion on the existing engine, get the rods and pistons done and the engine bored from a 1.8 to a 2.0l!

after the rebuild slap a gt30 or on it and hit 300BHP+ mark. youve got the car at a bargain price mate. possibilities are endless but i think the 2.0L + Big turbo personally would be better option.

hi mate i used to talk to you on mig an audi is what made me come away from vauxhall too they seem to have a way of doing that

I think the late B6's have the 2.0T engines if you can find one but other wise build it up to a 2.0. I would say pop over to Audizine to see what they do to build their engine up and look for parts in the US, Im sure they will be a lot cheaper to buy.

I had a go of my sister's new A3 convertible (don't worry, I was in disguise!) with the 2.0T petrol engine and I was very disappointed.

Not sure how tuneable they are, but in standard form, they are certainly not a performance engine. Think Audi have defo tried to go for the smooth approach with this one.

I meant a 1.8t bored to 83 mm then a stroked crank to produce a 2 litre, decent rods, a gt30 turbo, there is a good reliable 300bhp

As long as the engine you have hasnt dropped a rod through the block like the one i had here, you have a good base to start on as it would need machine work anyway due to the seizure

I meant a 1.8t bored to 83 mm then a stroked crank to produce a 2 litre, decent rods, a gt30 turbo, there is a good reliable 300bhp
:thumbsup:

As Doc said head over to the US the rods and pistons are almost half the price they are over here!

Watch out for Customs, sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you have to pay. I got stung £40 on a £150 purchase just today

Watch out for Customs, sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you have to pay. I got stung £40 on a £150 purchase just today

**** thats bad luck mate i got stung for jsut under £500 on a £2100 order from US.

whoever you order from most of them will be willing to either mark the package as 'warranty replacement' or lower the item value for customs purposes!

i ordered 4 coil packs and ingition control module all for $150 shipped i didnt pay any taxs.

You should try and get the sender to put a not in the box addressed to stating these are warrantee replacement parts this should help getting you of the import duties.

One of the big american firms (I think it may be UPS) have cottoned on to the 'warranty replacement' thing.

When I got my K04's from the US they took ages as they'd sat with the mail company whilst they tried to resend them back to the shop I bought them from. All because they wouldn't believe they were warranty replacements.

As long as the engine you have hasnt dropped a rod through the block like the one i had here, you have a good base to start on as it would need machine work anyway due to the seizure

Hmmm ok well that gives me food for thought!
Cheers!

One of the big american firms (I think it may be UPS) have cottoned on to the 'warranty replacement' thing.

When I got my K04's from the US they took ages as they'd sat with the mail company whilst they tried to resend them back to the shop I bought them from. All because they wouldn't believe they were warranty replacements.

ohhh did not know that

A lot of big firms won't do the "warranty" or "gift" dodge anymore.

If they get caught, especially in the US, it could be grief, it's actually classed as fraud.

Getting tangled with Customs or the IRS is every shop's nightmare.

If they get caught, especially in the US, it could be grief, it's actually classed as fraud.

Chap are you the same guy that tried to fix my avant many months ago?

Laser red 80 Avant 1,595cc, gas station by the Miami roundabout?

didnt know that mate, good info :thumbsup:

its cus of UPS i got stung £500 on import fees n taxs! there a bunch of W*****S!! try avoid any shipment by them.

Looks like a solid base for a project. If you need a hand with anything im onlu up the road. :thumbsup:

actually it's the importer's responsibility to get the customs declaration right. more info here: http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channels...ntent&id=HMCE_CL_001454&propertyType=document

in particular:
" websites may advertise that they will misrepresent or undervalue your goods so you avoid paying any extra Customs charges. However, by law you are the importer of the goods and are legally responsible for the information on the Customs declaration made by the sender and for any charges due. If you buy goods and the declaration is found to be incorrect, you may be liable to financial penalties or prosecution. In addition, the goods may be seized. It is in your interest to ensure the sender completes the Customs declaration accurately."

not necessarily saying the shop wouldn't get hassle but it's not really anything to do with the irs what the value of the package is, other than for trade figures purposes. it's hmrc who want to collect the vat & duty, not them. still it is a bit of a grey area and i wouldn't be too keen to either ask them to do it, or do it for someone overseas who was buying from me. it's understandable, really.

anyway, if you know someone in the states, have the parts shipped to them. the parts become second-hand (maybe ask your friend to "rough them up" a bit) and subsequently of lower value. then your friend ships them to you with a correctly-assessed value. bear in mind that to avoid vat & duty the package value needs to be less than £18 - might not be easy with a set of rods & pistons ;)

actually it's the importer's responsibility to get the customs declaration right. more info here: http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channels...ntent&id=HMCE_CL_001454&propertyType=document

in particular:
" websites may advertise that they will misrepresent or undervalue your goods so you avoid paying any extra Customs charges. However, by law you are the importer of the goods and are legally responsible for the information on the Customs declaration made by the sender and for any charges due. If you buy goods and the declaration is found to be incorrect, you may be liable to financial penalties or prosecution. In addition, the goods may be seized. It is in your interest to ensure the sender completes the Customs declaration accurately."

not necessarily saying the shop wouldn't get hassle but it's not really anything to do with the irs what the value of the package is, other than for trade figures purposes. it's hmrc who want to collect the vat & duty, not them. still it is a bit of a grey area and i wouldn't be too keen to either ask them to do it, or do it for someone overseas who was buying from me. it's understandable, really.

anyway, if you know someone in the states, have the parts shipped to them. the parts become second-hand (maybe ask your friend to "rough them up" a bit) and subsequently of lower value. then your friend ships them to you with a correctly-assessed value. bear in mind that to avoid vat & duty the package value needs to be less than £18 - might not be easy with a set of rods & pistons ;)

good advice mate! :thumbsup:

seems like theres quite a few Miggers on here :)

Myself and CraigG spent many a year in the world of vauxhalls too!

Got the Audi collected tonight. And yes it did take that long to load. That court was busier than ****** london!
23092008100.jpg

23092008101.jpg

Now need to get Scotts rotter out the workshop, a calibra in and stripped, My Astra Turbo Estate show car stripped, Subaru Justy in for weight loss then the Audi can come in!

Well my Vauxhall 2.0 Turbo engine and 6sp box has sold now so i have around £1500 to start on an engine. Just got to source one first and do some research :)

Any way its in its temporary location till some of the other crap has gone. Cant wait to clean it TBH lmao
24092008108.jpg

24092008110.jpg

i hope you have more luck modyfying yours, anything i do to mine is a ballache or just doesnt happen.

looks a bit better in the light Drizz, judging by all the posts people on here are keen to see what you gonna do.

Well i need help with engine choices. And as im new to Audi modifying give me them im simple terms!

The way i see it you've got 3 main options:

I4 20v Turbo; starting with a basic chipped 1.8T thru to a stroked rebored 2.0 with big turbo etc. Tuning starts around 225hp and will go all the way to 350-400+ with enough cash spent. I would stick with the Longitudinal engines rather than going with a S3 lump as its basically the same bar everything not quite fitting properly.

V6 Biturbo; 2.7L S4 engine, makes 265hp out the box, 320ish availble with only a chip. 400-500hp available with bolt on off the shelf parts. A lot more expensive to buy though and you'll likely spend quite a few thousands to get it to 500hp!

V8; 4.2L 32v ABZ available from A8, bolts pretty much streight upto a V6 gearbox, might need a bit of tweaking in the engine bay to get it in but nets you 300hp out the box (340hp for the S8 version)

I guess it depends how much power you want. Imo if your aiming for the 300hp region i'd be going down the V8 route, the engines are pretty cheap (i paid £500 just last month for an ABZ and its wiring loom etc), you get the lovely V8 noise and a nice torquey consistent power delivery

If you want more than 300 i'd be carefully weighing up the costs between going for an S4 lump or turbocharging the V8. I suspect you could push 6-7psi thru a standard ABZ and see close to 500hp and i suspect that seen as the engine is much cheaper and you'd be paying for new turbos anyway to get the S4 to those power levels then the V8 might well work out the cheaper, if less proven, route