oh no seats dont fit

Adam-D

Reaction score
i have got some seats out of a possibly facelift a4 avant,
i have a pre facelift.

the rear seats dont fit, the catch it locks onto on the back rest does not line up, and where it sits on the rod the hole on the new seat seems thinner. and wont slide on.

any ideas? i was told they bolted straight in?

this is the catch on my seat
myseat.jpg

and this is the catch on the new seat
Image001.jpg

i give up, 6 months looking for ******* seats, i get some and they dont ******* fit, its only audi i have ever had a problem modyfying, really really starting to **** me off.

youll either have to add mounts somehow or might be possible to swap seat covers over
guessing your car is a quattro saloon, avants have bars bolted to bodywork for rear seats to latch to

the rears are a slightly differnt width aswell so the covers wont swap over.

no mine is a non quattro avant
i dont know what the donor car is...

right annoy'd now, watse of a day and £200 i dont have

just checked both cars are 2wd non quattro.
and there is only a year difference in them, and both prefacelift.

anyone want to buy some seats. :(

You have either just bought Avant seats or B6 ones. The catch in the first pic is correct all the way accross the B5 saloon range

If they're B6 seats the fronts will be totally different. B6's have the rails welded to the bottom of the seats so they just screw to the floorpan, on a B5 the rails are part of the floorpan, so the fronts slide in.

You spent £200 on cloth seats?

inc postage yeah. they are b5 seats. and my car is a b5.

they are both avants, so i cant see why my car or the seats have different rear seat mounts

Looks suspiciously like a B6 rear seat catch to me, here's the one on our B6:
B6rearseatcatch.jpg

My B5 is a saloon so can't do a direct comparison, does the bench seat fit?

the lower "**** section" fits.
the backrest, seems about 1/4 inch thinner, and the catch is different to mine,
its strange as the seats i bought came out of a p reg i was told.

where as my catch looks nothing like that and is all hidden inside the seat.

i hate this, not one mod has gone well on this car, not once i have just got a part and bolted it on. its always taken months of ******* around, and now the seats aswell.

i could just fit the front seats. but the pattern is a little darker and a different pattern so they wont match :(

Maybe the car they came out of had been modified to take a B6 rear seat, although god knows why anyone would go to that effort for cloth. My '97 B5 saloon has the hidden catch as well, just a slit in the back like yours above. Your new seat is definately a B6, have you contacted the seller?

I have a B5 Avant (99) and the seat catch is the same as your new seats, so it isn't from a B6. I guess your car used the saloon type fixings for some reason.

Yes, I think the clue is in the "and the back seat is missing its catches at the top". Slightly obvious......

I had the same problem when I got leather seats for my P reg avant. The leather is out of a 2000 year car. I just took the brackets of my car so they would fit. The seats are a good tight fit up and never move so I didn't bother making a new bracket.

Any way, my leather is up for sale now.

so i need a saloon set of seats?
or just the avant set with saloon fixings?

ill try and get the fixing out of the donor car from the seller, see if i can make them work

what do you guys think would be best?

my avant has same fixings as your new seats, i thought they were standard across all b5's thats why i thought you had a saloon, anyway id get hold of the rest of fixings and see if they can be mounted, on mine they just screw into captive nut in bodywork but need to be able to move slightly to line up with seat backs, i would imagine your bodywork would be different so you'd probably have to make up some brackets, do side bolsters fit straight on?

the side bits are a little tight against my original seats.
and the seats themselfs, well the passenger section appears to be thinner than the original one. really confusing,.
ill try and get hold of the seats mountings, failing that, ill try to sell the seats on, and im stuck with non bucketed. fat rep man seats.

The seats are defo out of a pre face lift b5,the car didnt have any seat brackets in when i bough it but i managed to get hold of some but didnt fit them as i was breaking the car. They are like a threaded bolt with a rounded section at the end for the seat to clip into,i still have them if you want them ??

yes please,
i will see if i can fabricate something to make them go in, they have to bolt down and lock or its a mot failiure.

yes please,
i will see if i can fabricate something to make them go in, they have to bolt down and lock or its a mot failiure.
Thats the spirit,bits of metal and fabricating is what car modifying is all about !!!. Seriously though im just about to go out for the day but i will sort something out for you in the morning and let you know.

if you can, can i have the lower mounting points too?
then centre bracket part and the side pins, as my pins are fatter.

if you want ill paypal you a few £ for postage
i just want them to fit im just about to give up on this car i really am.

if its an mot failure, id better sort mine out, got passat seats in my saloon that use the same pins that you need, but not been able to find any so there only bolted in at base, i use seatbelts to stop them coming down!

yes please,

I had my RS4 (avant) seats zip tied shut in my saloon before I got the brackets fabricated to hold them in place.

You'd have to find a very anal MOT tester to check the back seats out!

Or borrow some child seats for the MOT, and the tester is then unable to touch the rear seats so it can't fail (on the seats at least).

do early avants just have middle lap belts, my 99 has full seatbelt in seat, so an mot test would check that

adam-d, seems to be just the very first avants that have your fixtures

blue thunder, any chance of a photo of what you fabricated, would help me and adam

many thanks pics would be great,

the seats i got are from a 96 p reg,
my car is a 97 r reg,

so im thinkinh audi had a spare load of seats, or a 3 point middle belt was optional.

my car has a lap belt in the centre,
but the seats i purchased have a 3 point belt.

i reckon if i get the side spindles and the centre mounts, they will bolt in, then,, the upper catch will need a plate welding in, or somthing similar to hold the upper catch bar.

once i have the fixtures i will know more.

ah interesting

my car has a centre lap belt on an interia reel

So i'd guess that cars with 3 point centre seatbelt got the different mountings, perhaps as they're stronger since the seatbelt is attached to the seat?

it would seem the lap belt cars have the U shaped mount and the slot in the seat and the three point seats have the open clamp on the side..