Clutch Biting Point

NineNails

Proud sponsor of the snack food industry
Reaction score
My 95 2.6qs has just turned 170k & I'm a bit worried there's not much left in the clutch.
Where abouts do your clutches start to bite? mine is about 1 inch from taking your foot off the pedal and is a bit either on or off.
Are there any indicators to a worn out clutch? I have no slip though.
I know as a rule Audi clutches are good for a rough average of 160k so am just wondering how normal my biting point is
Thanks for your thoughts...
Si.

The was a post on this on audiworld, some guy even video himself dipping the clutch, (almost took out the video camera - ha!) Bite point is always very high, my missus and dad almost always stall the car when they get in it after not driving it for a while...had a look for the post but can't find it..I guess that if you don't have any slippage then you should be fine. I'm at 225Kmiles, had it since 171Kmiles, don't know when the clutch was replaced last!

my biting point is high too.... it will stall if i lift it in gear with foot on break so im guessing its ok. im aproching 160k

Had mine replaced at 160k (after an MOT station destroyed my gearbox with their 2 wheel brake test rollers, tossers), it's now biting much lower & more positively than our B6, which is really vague and high. If you're not getting slippage then don't worry about it.

I'm getting confused here - with the exception of AndyMac, you all say your clutch biting points are hig - i.e, closer to the top of it's travel.

That's a worn clutch, and it's harder to stall your car, if the pedal has that much travel.

A clutch that bites lower is a tighter clutch, and the theory of stalling the car would apply more here, if you weren't used to it.

My car's done 213,000 miles on the original clutch, bite is midway.

Mines right at the top on 110k and there is a note in the service history saying the clutch was in need of changing, that was from the 40k service at a dealer 5-6 yrs ago!

It's can be tricky to drive as there is very little room to play with, and the fact that your leg is in a difficult position to provide finite adjustment. What makes it worse is our other car, an A3, the clutch bites a gnats whisker above the carpet!

Mine's done 128k, I think my clutch release bearing's on the way, no real definate biting point, varies in pedal height and seems real soft, no real definate bite to it, except when you side step it and even then it slips at high revs sometimes, but it works and for the price of a clutch swap I'll put up with it till it goes completely.

Mine's done 128k, I think my clutch release bearing's on the way, no real definate biting point, varies in pedal height and seems real soft, no real definate bite to it, except when you side step it and even then it slips at high revs sometimes, but it works and for the price of a clutch swap I'll put up with it till it goes completely.

If you let it go completely, it'll destroy the DM flywheel too.

Besides run-out, the excess heat breaks down the rubber blocks that seperates the 2 sections of the flywheel.

If it's slipping, I'd start looking at a replacement.

It doesn't seem to slip very much at all, it just seems very soft, spongy, thats the best way to describe it, the biting point seems to ove around, no real definate clutch feel, I don't know if it's just me, guess i shoud drive another with a decent clutch and see how that feels, or get someone who knows to drive mine, anyone vaguely local to wittering, peterborough area?

Got a couple of quotes a little while back, around a grand!!!! Is that really what I should expect to pay? I know it's a bit of a big job, but surely not that much!?

I charge £575 all in for an S4 clutch change, with OEM parts.

Add £93 for an uprated clutch, and £253 if you also require a lightweight single mass flywheel (7,2 kilos Vs OEM 13,8 kilos).

So, well under the £1,000 mark.

It's a big job, transmission out job, and often both downpipes / pre catalysts.

Thaks for that Sienna, when the time comes I could well be on the phone! A good price there.