I've Had enough!

dappadan786

Reaction score
finally got my Coilpacks and Ignition switch(control module sits on top of air box!)

replaced them with the old ones started the car let it warm up took it for a spin and it was like WOW! felt the full force of the turbo for the FIRST time since i had all the mods done! got abit ambitious and took it out to pick up my lil boy, no problems! car was still fine loving the new unleashed power from the hybrid K04 and the lil one had a big grin on his face and a few minutes later you guessed it!!

MISFIRING! but really bad misfiring i mean the whole car shaking and undrivable.

im stumped now as to what the problem could be! i seem to think its heat related somehow with the ignition switch?

im out of ideas, im getting my VAGCOM lead back tomorrow so ill run some tests see if theres any codes.

has anyone experienced anything similiar? someone said its the CAT as i drove the car previously when it was misfiring underboost? someone said MAF sensor unplug it and see if its drives better?

any help will be appreciated!!

What plugs are you running?

I'd try some Bosch FD5P0R plugs (S2/RS2 plugs) - you seem to have eliminated your
other ignition components.

Get some BKR6E's or even some BKR7E seeing as you have some mods done in there with correct gaps of 0.6 its worth a shot for £12 a set of 4. I recon your sooting up the platinum plugs and your turbo is blowing out the spark.
The copper core plugs will last less time but will provide a better and stronger spark in biger boost conditions for the A4.

What plugs are you running?

I'd try some Bosch FD5P0R plugs (S2/RS2 plugs) - you seem to have eliminated your
other ignition components.

was using DENSO iridium IK22s previously and ive got the NGL plats in there at the moment FPR6Qs.

Get some BKR6E's or even some BKR7E seeing as you have some mods done in there with correct gaps of 0.6 its worth a shot for £12 a set of 4. I recon your sooting up the platinum plugs and your turbo is blowing out the spark.
The copper core plugs will last less time but will provide a better and stronger spark in biger boost conditions for the A4.

will give that a try.

cheers

Might try a set myself I think.

One good thing is that you know your engine is not dead, If you get it running leave it to tick over for some time also swap out the coolent sensor or even the timing sensor if you have not already. If the car is fine after warm up see what happen after some hard runs if it plays up pop the hood and see if the turbo is glowing red if so the CAT is dead and blocking the exhuast.

Denso's are a very good plug, but are extremely prone to going wrong. 50% of the plugs i sold needed to be replaced. But it's really hit and miss with them. They are a superior plug when they work, and generally work better in jap engines for some reason! like the guys said bosch you shouldn't have a problem with.

Forget all the hype about platinum and iridium plugs. The only advantage they give over copper is they last a bit longer. The biggest issue with platinum and iridium plugs in high boost applications is that they dont conduct heat away very quickly, and can become a hotspot within the cylinder. Plat/irid plugs can help produce a stronger spark, but with the Audis coil on plug system, spark strength isnt an issue, so that really becomes a moot point.

BKR6E's (or 7E's but i'm not sure if you need to go to that heat range with the power you are running) are so cheap (i'm sure mine were about £2 each) its silly not to try them.

ordered some BKR7E of ebay total cost £9.99 4 times cheaper than the DEnso n NGK plats!

Had the same thought which is why I asked about plugs :)

I have had this problem on a Golf 1.8T and my B5 S4. Under high load the spark struggles,
especially as a lot of maps enrich under high load. I sorted the Golf by re-gapping to a
smaller gap (I think they came as .032 and I re-gapped to .028). The S4, I had IK20 and IK22
- both rubbish for this car and in the bin where they belong. Since switching to FD5P0R
I have had no problems. The S2 and RS2 ran pretty high boost from the factory hence the
reason why they seem to work OK.

A quick update, got the car back from the garage! car starts up fine now, NO misfire when car is cold? drives ok until its been given a trashing at idle you can feel and hear slight misfire. it does get worse the longer i drive.

the garage checked over everything and engine passed compression test woohoo! coilpacks seem to be ok, all sensors where checked and i didnt miss any bolts or left anything unplugged when i ripped everything out.

conclusion so far is its a fuelling issue, is there anyway to check the adjustable 5bar fuel pressure regulator? also told it could be a injector going faulty? wiring seems to be ok.

anyone got other ideas or suggestions?

ive got the NGKs BRK7Es waiting to go in, just need to gap them to 0.028?

thanks to everyone so far with there help.

do the plugs signify any particular cylinder is misfiring? or is it sporadic over all four?

i think vagcom might be able to tell you which cylinders are missfiring...

Did you say you'd changed the ignition amplifier? the getting worse when warm symptom does sound a bit like it could be that... I've heard they tend to drop cylinder 2 first though so that might be somewhere to look.