Chris NottBadger5
    2nd Gear

Status

I've Had enough!

finally got my Coilpacks and Ignition switch(control module sits on top of air box!)

replaced them with the old ones started the car let it warm up took it for a spin and it was like WOW! felt the full force of the turbo for the FIRST time since i had all the mods done! got abit ambitious and took it out to pick up my lil boy, no problems! car was still fine loving the new unleashed power from the hybrid K04 and the lil one had a big grin on his face and a few minutes later you guessed it!!

MISFIRING! but really bad misfiring i mean the whole car shaking and undrivable.

im stumped now as to what the problem could be! i seem to think its heat related somehow with the ignition switch?

im out of ideas, im getting my VAGCOM lead back tomorrow so ill run some tests see if theres any codes.

has anyone experienced anything similiar? someone said its the CAT as i drove the car previously when it was misfiring underboost? someone said MAF sensor unplug it and see if its drives better?

any help will be appreciated!!
    custom powerflow Exhaust, Hybrid K04, S4 clutch, Autospeed FMIC, Blue Silicon pipes, ATP Exhaust Manifold, ECS Tuning Adjustable 5BAR FPR +Gauge, DefiLink Boost Gauge, Meyle HD control Arms, Koni Shock + Eibach springs, ECS tuning brakes stage 2v2, APR R1 Divertor Valve, CUSTOM DNA Tuning remap!

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    What plugs are you running?

I'd try some Bosch FD5P0R plugs (S2/RS2 plugs) - you seem to have eliminated your
    other ignition components.
    MY2000 Audi S4
    Ebony Pearl
    CXRacing FMIC
    RS4 Downpipes
    RS4 brakes
    Miltek Dual
    Vogtland CO
    K04's
    Lowered CR & MRC Magic......
    (RS4 ICs 4 sale - check classifed)

2nd Gear

Status
    Get some BKR6E's or even some BKR7E seeing as you have some mods done in there with correct gaps of 0.6 its worth a shot for 12 a set of 4. I recon your sooting up the platinum plugs and your turbo is blowing out the spark.
    The copper core plugs will last less time but will provide a better and stronger spark in biger boost conditions for the A4.
    Last edited by Andy.B; 17th September 2008 at 15:05.
    Ming Blue A4 B5 RS4 Replica (SOLD)

T28 Kit (SOLD)

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnya View Post
    What plugs are you running?

I'd try some Bosch FD5P0R plugs (S2/RS2 plugs) - you seem to have eliminated your
    other ignition components.
    was using DENSO iridium IK22s previously and ive got the NGL plats in there at the moment FPR6Qs.
    custom powerflow Exhaust, Hybrid K04, S4 clutch, Autospeed FMIC, Blue Silicon pipes, ATP Exhaust Manifold, ECS Tuning Adjustable 5BAR FPR +Gauge, DefiLink Boost Gauge, Meyle HD control Arms, Koni Shock + Eibach springs, ECS tuning brakes stage 2v2, APR R1 Divertor Valve, CUSTOM DNA Tuning remap!

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy.B View Post
    Get some BKR6E's or even some BKR7E seeing as you have some mods done in there with correct gaps of 0.6 its worth a shot for 12 a set of 4. I recon your sooting up the platinum plugs and your turbo is blowing out the spark.
    The copper core plugs will last less time but will provide a better and stronger spark in biger boost conditions for the A4.
    will give that a try.

cheers

Status
    Might try a set myself I think.

One good thing is that you know your engine is not dead, If you get it running leave it to tick over for some time also swap out the coolent sensor or even the timing sensor if you have not already. If the car is fine after warm up see what happen after some hard runs if it plays up pop the hood and see if the turbo is glowing red if so the CAT is dead and blocking the exhuast.
    Black Audi RS4 2006 Exclusive edition, Black optic option (stock for now)

2nd Gear

Status
    changed pretty mcuh all sensors i dont think theres many left lol!

3rd Gear

Status
    Denso's are a very good plug, but are extremely prone to going wrong. 50% of the plugs i sold needed to be replaced. But it's really hit and miss with them. They are a superior plug when they work, and generally work better in jap engines for some reason! like the guys said bosch you shouldn't have a problem with.

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Forget all the hype about platinum and iridium plugs. The only advantage they give over copper is they last a bit longer. The biggest issue with platinum and iridium plugs in high boost applications is that they dont conduct heat away very quickly, and can become a hotspot within the cylinder. Plat/irid plugs can help produce a stronger spark, but with the Audis coil on plug system, spark strength isnt an issue, so that really becomes a moot point.

BKR6E's (or 7E's but i'm not sure if you need to go to that heat range with the power you are running) are so cheap (i'm sure mine were about 2 each) its silly not to try them.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

2nd Gear

Status
    ordered some BKR7E of ebay total cost 9.99 4 times cheaper than the DEnso n NGK plats!

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy.B View Post
    Had the same thought which is why I asked about plugs :-)

I have had this problem on a Golf 1.8T and my B5 S4. Under high load the spark struggles,
    especially as a lot of maps enrich under high load. I sorted the Golf by re-gapping to a
    smaller gap (I think they came as .032 and I re-gapped to .028). The S4, I had IK20 and IK22
    - both rubbish for this car and in the bin where they belong. Since switching to FD5P0R
    I have had no problems. The S2 and RS2 ran pretty high boost from the factory hence the
    reason why they seem to work OK.
    MY2000 Audi S4
    Ebony Pearl
    CXRacing FMIC
    RS4 Downpipes
    RS4 brakes
    Miltek Dual
    Vogtland CO
    K04's
    Lowered CR & MRC Magic......
    (RS4 ICs 4 sale - check classifed)

2nd Gear

Status
    A quick update, got the car back from the garage! car starts up fine now, NO misfire when car is cold? drives ok until its been given a trashing at idle you can feel and hear slight misfire. it does get worse the longer i drive.

the garage checked over everything and engine passed compression test woohoo! coilpacks seem to be ok, all sensors where checked and i didnt miss any bolts or left anything unplugged when i ripped everything out.

conclusion so far is its a fuelling issue, is there anyway to check the adjustable 5bar fuel pressure regulator? also told it could be a injector going faulty? wiring seems to be ok.

anyone got other ideas or suggestions?

ive got the NGKs BRK7Es waiting to go in, just need to gap them to 0.028?

thanks to everyone so far with there help.

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    do the plugs signify any particular cylinder is misfiring? or is it sporadic over all four?

i think vagcom might be able to tell you which cylinders are missfiring...

Did you say you'd changed the ignition amplifier? the getting worse when warm symptom does sound a bit like it could be that... I've heard they tend to drop cylinder 2 first though so that might be somewhere to look.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

6th Gear

Status
    If you've used octane boosters in the past, your FPR could be clogged up.
    Mo power, mo problems