ASKED STACKS BEFORE

AUDI TURBO

Reaction score
Now i know ive bin down this road before and nearly blow a hole through my engine and killed my self from hitting limp mode but please coreect me if im wrong on this.................MBC again............... right when i first attempted thsi manual boost controller i was running stock chip with a simple after market air filter basic stuff. i bought the wrong valve by accidently getting the 2 pipe version not the 3 pipe version. i fitted the mbc in replace of my n75 valve and blanked off the hole in the intake pipe. i got about a 1psi or 2psi increase from stock psi but the car actully felt slower. so im assuming when i cranked the valve abit more my car shot into limp mood that was after the car went flipping hurling away like a rocket ship. which i want back!!!!!!!! but in therory the car turbo had yes increased psi bin given but there was no increase in air flow or fuel to compensate...............so not i have a PROPER remap with the engine working with more air,fuel etc would i now manage more boost from a mbc??? if i buy one with 3 openings on it?? hope that makes sense

To a degree you will get more air as the turbo spins faster and that will then ask for more fuel from the ecu via the lamda sensor etc

so do you think i coul get something from a mbc now?? more than before because my chip is given more power,fuel etc

im wanting to get about 15psi?? so im assuming with the increase of fuel and air etc with the remap i mite be safe with a mbc???

If you want more boost, why didn't you just ask the tuner to give you 15psi?

WELL funny you say that blue chip performance said it was a 16psi remap but i never got that it took them over 3 weeks to sort it after getting faulty maps and chips and when it eventually got it right it did not feel like a 200bhp rempa at all and still doesnt. so im trying to squeez some more out

and yes i tryed to get blue chip to sort but after service was poor. not helpfull at all.

Your remap was setup for the fueling mixture that it is now set at, it does not mean you can wind up the boost and it will be ok still!!!
If you want a significant increase in boost it need mapping for it properly, or ATLEAST get the fueling checked when you turn it up.
Unless you know what you are doing you will probably end up with it running lean and melt a piston or two!

im only hoping for a 2psi increaseorso just abit more punch from my turbo? thats why im checking as last time i nearly melted my engine!!!!!!!!

and i have tryed the n75 route twice and it made my car slower so that a no no.

ive replaced the n75 with a n75j and that was rubbish then i thiught id treat my car to a new normal n75 fitted it and i lost 3psi.my old n75 rusty and done 100k works better than a new n75!!! so on that note i have a n75 going cheap if someone wants one pm me

I think you would be better off finding out why the remap isnt as powerful as it should be!
Have you had it on any rollers to verify the power?
You may have a boost leak, in which case turning up the boost even more will overspin the turbo which will eventually kill it as it has to work harder to try to create the boost levels asked for by the ecu or your MBC

im 99% sure there no boost leak ive replaced lots of pipes and hose clips and checked all for cracks etc. no not bin on rolling road but that could be the prove i need if got a problem. to be onest though im getting mixed results from what psi and bhp i should be running at. some people are gettin upto 15psi from a aeb 1.8t a4 but some get only 12psi like me. so im only assuming that there are different power outputs from different companys. superchips on there ad above list only a 37bhp increase but some companys list 50bhp for the exact same car.

A 3psi difference could simply be the difference between two different boost gauges!
I dont understand why you have'nt gone back to the company and asked exactly what you should be getting, and if not, why are you not getting it?!
Also, did you not ask exactly what changes you will see before getting it done?
If I were you, I would get a power run before changing or adding anything else, so you can verify what power it is actually making

i did go back to company and they fobbed me off all the time then stopped returning calls etc . trust me i wish id never used them. i did ask what map i was getting and he told me it was a map of 16psi i was getting but it might be about 14/15 psi on gauge because of how the figures are worked out etc and yes again i did ask what sort of change i should told big difference should pick up alot better etc. well my old chip that was mapped from germany on ebay at £45.00 feels practically the same power wise but gauge only reads 10psi. the only reason why i got the proper map was becasue i didnt trust a chip from geramany work at a steady 10psi without a problem hten if you slowly change gear in 3rd at low revs then foot to floor the power woould go to 10psi then drop slightly then suddenly it would surge to 19psi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so i thought that can be right so i got rid and got the pro job!! wish i hadnt

Who are Blue Chip? Ive never heard of them personally...
Did they come recommended to you, or have they had other good results in the past with other people on here?
Good idea to ditch the ebay chip, I can never understand why people do that?! Going for the cheapest unknown sourced chip is never a good idea, why would anyone be happy to trust their engine to an unknown chip for the sake of afew hundred quid more?!
It would certainly cost alot more in the long run if it blew up lol
I dont know who is local to you, but can highly recommend MSD in Blackpool, their evolution chip is listed to give 30bhp gains on a 1.8T www.evolutionchips.com

blue chip was recomend from few guys on here and ythey had good results they are part of someone else but cant remb who. chip+spin advised me to to go there i wanted chip+spin to do it but couldnt because mine was the early type car which need a whole new chip fitting not just a remap

As others have had good results with them, and they had problems with yours, it could suggest there is a running problem with your car, butsurely they should be able to work out what it is if they are any good!
You definitly need a power run to atleast put your mind at rest, and find out what it IS running

had it checked with audi they cant find any problems vagcom etc rolling road it is.........

Do you live close to anyone with Vagcom? Log group 115 and you'll be able to see what boost is requested by the MAP (in bar) and also what the actual boost level is. That way you'll be able to see if the tuner is bullsh*ttng you and whether or not you have a boost leak.

Have you had the car pressure tested? You say you've checked the hoses for splits, etc. but unless you actually pressurise the intake, you won't always be able to find all the leaks.
For example, I once had a crack in one of my intercoolers which wasn't visible because it was inside the vanes. Would never have found that without doing a pressure test.

Don't know if it's a difficult job on the 1.8T, but defo worth looking into.

ps. decent tuners will tend to make their maps run slightly rich at high boost, so you possibly would be able to get away with increasing the boost slightly if the car is running right.

THANKS for that i will see if can get that checked tom for the boost check

if i decide to buy a mbc do i get a 3 or 2 shaft version i want to bypass n75 all together

overriding the ECU's control over the boost isnt really that great an idea

The N75 is there so the ecu can control it, if theres a fault for instance, it will shut the boost right down to try to stop any damage ocurring.

If the remap was done for 16psi and the turbo isnt providing 16psi then the turbo itself might just be knackered. How old is it?

My first step would be to take the car to a rolling road as has been suggested, They will check the fuelling and boost pressure with some accurate gear (dash mounted guages can be pretty crap) and tell you where you stand

The car has an airflow meter, so you can increase the boost pressure without worrying too much about the fuelling going lean as long as you dont go mental. And you'll hit boost cut if you do try to go mental anyway. The only danger would be maxing out the airflow meter, ie reaching the point at which the airflow meters output no longer climbs with more air flowing thru it. I dont know where this point is on the standard AFM but looking at what power levels people can get on the standard unit should give you an idea.

Are you running stock intercooling? If you get a vagcom on the car while driving you can watch the inlet air temperature, and if thats climbing a lot over ambient then it would point to insufficient intercooling, which will, if its high, enough cause the ECU to alter the ignition timing, fuelling and boost pressure to stop the engine detting (which will happen with very high IAT's)

STOCK INTERCOOLER YES. and turbo is orginal and car done just over 100k. so are you saying keep clearof mbc

i wouldnt use one unless i knew the car was in tip top condition and i wanted to squeeze a few more ponies out in the short term. An example might be by overriding the ECU's overboost settings for a run up the quarter mile (not sure if the audi does this but vauxhalls do, Overboost is when you first stick the boot to the floor, the ecu allows the pressure to climb (for example) to 20psi for a set number of seconds, before pulling it back to (eg) 16psi and holds it there after that, it would be safe to assume that the ECU is mapped up to 20psi and you could in theory use an MBC to keep the boost at 20psi all the time)

I dont like the idea in general though, i'd rather not start fooling the ECU into running pressures higher than it wants to, its more sensible to get the ECU properly remapped to handle the new desired boost level.

You may find the turbo just isnt upto the job as its relatively high mileage, but i'd get it on the rollers to see what is actually happening, and its very worthwhile getting vagcom on there to see what the inlet temps and boost levels are as far as the ecu is concerned!

(not sure if the audi does this but vauxhalls do, Overboost is when you first stick the boot to the floor, the ecu allows the pressure to climb (for example) to 20psi for a set number of seconds, before pulling it back to (eg) 16psi and holds it there after that, it would be safe to assume that the ECU is mapped up to 20psi and you could in theory use an MBC to keep the boost at 20psi all the time)

that exactly what that crappy german chip did. but when i last tryed mbc i did mangage to get a good increase but car hit limp mode and my engine glowed orange:wtf:

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO maybe i could push abit more now it remapped i might get abit more umpffffffffff

my engine glowed orange:wtf:

Dont you mean the turbo glowed orange?!
Thats not uncommon and happens on perfectly healthy cars too.

With all due respect, simply from the questions you are asking its easy to see you shouldnt be playing around with boost levels.
It sounds like you were lucky last time, but its all too easy to make very expensive mistakes.

Get a power run before doing ANYTHING else under the bonnet!!!

yes sorry turbo and manifold with bright orange........ and it doesnt do that now just when i had mbc on it

It will do it after long high speed on boost runs, obviously the more boost you run the hotter it gets

never had manifold glow or any where near that much before apart from when had mbc fitted. ............... day off tom do i attemot the mbc or be a good boy and get it rolling road......