Audi stereo question - please help!!!! Concert to Symphony

ajmackie

Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Hi

I have just bought a Audi A4 1.8SE off ebay for a very good price (I think!!) of £3,500! I used to have a '95 A4 and it is so much nicer!! Especiall having climate control /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif !!!

On my previous A4, I had an aftermarket Sony CDX-MP40 MP3/CD player. However on my new A4 I have a driver display information system and I really want to keep the radio display on that as I find it useful. Also I find it really annoying constantly having to take the front off the stereo when I park.

So my new A4 has the concert stereo and I think it is cool, especially how it records traffic info so when you drive off you are up to date (probably more useful for a business man than a student like myself!). However it only plays cassettes and so I want a CD player. I could get a changer for it with no problems, but what I would really like to do is to install the audi symphony stereo which has cassette and a bulit in 6 disk changer. The thing is though, mine still has the older dash (before '99.5) so that wouldn't fit.

Could I change just the centre console part of the dash to the newer one (after '99.5) so that the larger symphony stereo will fit. Also will I need to buy the newer air conditioning unit and will that still work with the existing wires? Will the symphony still show the radio info on my drivers display?

I am quite competent with things like this so there is no problems with doing it, just wondered whether anyone knows the answers first!!

Any help much appreciated /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Just buy a CD changer. Why would you want to go to all that trouble just for the convenience of loading CD's without going to the boot?
And pay good money for a shockingly average head unit that doesn't even play MP3 CD's?
You can get an Audi changer for about £80 on ebay.

Well it is cheaper for starters!! I can get a symphony from germany on ebay for £40. My concert would sell for £90 on UK ebay! I am quite impressed with the concert stereo so thought the symphony would be good with front loading cds as saves going in boot when driving.

If your problem is going to the boot to change CD, why not intigrade the CD changer into the glove box and not worry about the CD insert in the front for unit? Just a thought?

Good idea! Not sure whether it will fit in the glove box? Does anyone know whether they sell any that fit under the driver or passengers seat?

I have fitted a 6 Disc MP3 changer to mine, and even that wouldnt fit the glove box, or not fit an aftermarket HU with MP3 capability, you would get loadsa songs on it then!!
Just a thought

Mark

My 6 disc Alpine sit's beautifully in the glovebox, you just need to make some MDF spacers for the brackets to bolt to the top of the glovebox. Very secure as well, as you can't steal it unless you take out the glovebox. Had 2 break in's and neither was able to nick it.

Theres a huge difference between the Concert & a decent HU. The Concert is a proven piece of sh*te (not my opinion, but a fact according to independent surveys). It is poor quality all round, is prone to interference, has known volume control issues and is electrically noisy.
you will lose the dash display (big deal), but there is a really easy workaround, when sitting in the drivers seat, just simply move your eyes 5 degrees to the left and bingo, you have the dash display!
The CAN-BUS will be present on your car but is only used on the HU for illumination (and "ignition on" in a few later models), so no problem.

Hi AndyMac, thanks for the help. I think I'm going to stick my Sony MP3 HU in then!! Couple of final queries, will I need to wire my own switch live in (off hazard light illumination bulb?) and also do i need a wiring harness adaptor and last but not least will my rear speakers have an amp and if so, should i bypass it? I presume my 50w per channel head unit will be of better quality. Thanks for the help!!!

To rewire the rear speakers, do you have to remove the shelf? Can you just feed them through the rear seats?

Also where is the best place to get the adaptor so that your HU fits in the wider space.

You don't have to remove the shelf, you can feed the wires up behind the wadgy things running up the A pillars and up behind the carpet on the rear deck (depending on whether your seats fold down.