Heated rear window interferes with radio

JAM35F

Reaction score
Hi, on my 2000 b5 QTS I have the standard concert radio cassette head unit fitted (cd changer in boot). When I have the radio on, turning on the heated rear window causes lots of interference.

Anyone have any ideas how to sort this? I didnt notice it when I bought the car a month ago as it was sunny then!!

i have come across the same problem in an a3. the aerial is built into the back window and there are two small boxes on the a3 these are the amplifiers. one of these had blown and caused the same symptoms. so might be worth replacing the amplifier for the aerial

Only happens with radio, CD is fine. When I say interference I mean unlistenable white noise!!

Overall sound quality is ok when heated rear window is not on but if I'm honest I'm hardly impressed, expected better on both cd and radio. No where near as good as the standard stereo in my last BMW. Don't know if this is related to my problem or Audi stereos are just a bit naff. I'm not into my in car stereos so this is with it just at normal volume, not pumping bass or high volumes!

If it is the amps, where do I find them and how do I replace them?

on an a3 they are under the rear hatch trim, so thats no use they will be near the connections to the window so try either roof lining or in boot . might be an idea to look on etka for parts and give you an idea where they are

Will have a hunt around, must be a panel that is removable somewhere. What is ekta?

etka was/is vw audi parts list with exploded views of where everything goes for every model dealers have them. think this was old system they have elsa now?

Is there any way I can test the amp to see if that's what it is? And does anyone for defo know where in the car it may be located?

I would go to the dealer but Watford Audi are a hugely unhelpful bunch when they see you have an older car...

Whatever you do don't take it to a dealer, they'll charge you £100 per hour just to look at it, and they won't have a clue what the issue is. So after they've put in a new radio, new rear amp and changed the speakers, you'll be £500 worse off and still have the problem.
I'll have a route round in my B5 and see where it's located.
It has to be the amp as the aerial works, the HU works, there's only the antenna amp left.

Would be most appreciated if you could have a look.

Like you say, everything else seems to work so hopefully it's the amp.

Though saying that I have no idea how much an amp is...