Getting more power out of 1.9TDI 110

daveB5

Reaction score
Hey all, I have a 98 B5 A4 1.9TDI Quattro 110bhp.. I am going to change to a 1.8TQS but probably not until next year because I will have money tied up until then.. So what I want to know, are there any options about upgrading diesel turbo's, best exhaust to get, the 1.8T is more emphasised everywhere and can't find much on the non PD diesel engines.. Will be looking to get a remap also from turbotech in dublin pretty soon. Any help/advice would be much appreciated as I am getting frustrated with the lack of power!

I would say rather then spendoing loads of money on the TDi is just do the chip if you must and hold out because spending money on an exhaust would be a major waste.

The chip should tide you over untill it comes time to swap and then you should have a little more money for the 1.8TQ :eyebrows:

you can get good power out of them, the PD engine more so, with relatively little work

the rotary pump model with injectors a turbo and a remap will see about 170hp

the PD engine with injectors turbo and remap can see >220hp

since you dont want to spend mega bucks though then i would suggest just a remap, which would probably see you with 125-130hp on the stock injectors, or some larger injectors and a remap which might net you 150hp.

Yeah I don't want to spend too much on it, but I want it looking and performing good so whatever it takes.. Wasn't considering a full exhaust, just a new back box because the one I have looks like a cardboard cutout! *If* I did want to upgrade a turbo, what options would I have?

Dont waste your money, get a new Pierburg MAF for a merc 220 CDI from GSF or ECP, it will improve pick up and will feel much more responsive, all for 50 quid + VAT. Do not bother with exhaust upgrade, if you must spend your money, ditch the cat and replace with straight pipe all the way to the back and ditch the back box. It will burble nicely without being loud, the turbo does a good job of mufling the engine. Then, look for a set of nozzles for the vw T4/ audi a6 2.5 tdi inline 5 and that should give you a good 20 Bhp alone ! Then, look on the net for a decent digital tunning box wich will work wonders on the old vp engines like yours. Then, when the time comes to sell your car, remove the box and sell on ebay to get some of your money back ! You cannot do that with a remap and most potential buyers dont like chipped cars as they often are abused and hide potential problems: clutch, box, thrashed engine...