Fuel guage problem

A

AndyCollins

Hi Guys

have just purchased a 1999 A4. I have noticed that when I fill the car with fuel the needle on the guage doesn't go all the way to the top. It sits half way between 3/4 and full. Is this common or is something wrong?

Many thanks
Andy

I bought a 1999 S3 2 weeks ago, and ran out of fuel at 1/8 full with the computer saying 30miles to go.
I bumped into the dealer manager in a pub who informed me that it just needs recalibrating.

I thikn this is common on Audis. My S4 is exactly the same. when the computer says 10 miles left, it only takes 40 litres of fuel of out a supposed 62 litre tank!

leespears1 is right. That is something unique to the Quattro only due to the shape of the tank.

I had the same problem on my 99 A4. I took it to a dealer and got it fixed for $400. For an alternative, there is tech article on www.audiworld.com that walks you through steps on fixing it yourself.(i wish i would have seen that before it took it to a dealer, but oh well its fixed now)

NO, NO, NO!!

This is a classic sending unit failure. If the car is under warranty, it will be replaced at no charge. It takes about 1 hr. labor, of which, some of that time is taken up by driving the car with the windows down after the R&R because fuel fumes get into the cabin. The unit is accessed through the interior of the car - the trunk.

May car is in the shop for this right now! Something to do with the dash I was told! I will update once I get it back!

Thats what they told me too
"we had to first see if the problems was with your cluster guages' dial"

Then later they told me it was my fuel sensor

What was the final resolution for this? This way I can give the mechanic a hint since it seems like he has no clue at this point! Thanks!

OK thanks, I guess we have two different cases here. I will let you know the outcome of my situation.

If its the sensor, i would say do it yourself, if you have the resources(time, and alternate transportation(if needed)) If its is a problem in the Guage i would say let the mech. do it. But yeah keep us posted on the final outcome.

I've just dropped mine off this morning to have a few things sorted under warranty including the fuel problem. When talking to the mechanic about the fuel he said it will be a cluster gauges change. Only I don't intend on testing if they fixed the problem, I ran out of fuel with 1/8th remaining.

Original poster: My car is a 99.5 A4 and is out of warranty. Could someone recommend what my next course of action should be? How should I determine if it is the sender or the cluster guages? If it is the later how much would this cost in the UK?

Thanks