Finally new headunit in!!

justin_1ss

Reaction score
Hi guys just posting some pics of my new headunit, all fitted and wonderful!

Lookin' good! I have a silver finish Sony one in my A4, doesn't blend in so well in daylight but at night with the illumination set to red it looks mint! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I have a Clarion MP3 unit, display goes between 80 colours so matches the red perfectly..

clarion1.JPG

enjoy..

Nice man!!! How did you bypass the factory amp? I was going to install an aftermarktet unit in my 96 A4 but heard there is a good amount of wiring involved.

Jay

urm, im not sure if he did bypass the amp - but with a wiring adapter kit, its easy - i recently fitted an mp3 unit myself, no problem.

u need the kit, and a fascia adapter for DIN (aftermarket normal shape) units - cos the audi one is longer.

I just fitted an after market Sony cd player and did not bother bypassing the factory amp as it sounds so much better when it is connected.

I heard if you don't use the wiring harness adapter so you can use the factory amp, all 8 speakers won't work, only 4 because normal decks only put out 4 times power....

8 speakers? You've only got 4 speakers on the A4 and 2 tweeters up front. If you don't use the adapter, then you need to wire in the rears separately directly from the HU as the Audi speaker loom only has the fronts connected. Disconnect the puny rear amp from the rear speakers and connect the new wiring.
Most aftermarket HU's have more power on board than the rear amp, so by passing it will give you better sound.

do u have to run anymore cable through the car, or can that be done at HU and speaker end only?

I thought there were 8 speakers also...4 in the doors, 2 tweeters and 2 in the rear deck. I used a wirling harness to install an aftermarker deck and got the deck to power up but no sound since the factory harness for the amp will not fit into the aftermarket harness for the deck. Am I using the wroong harness? I was told by two stereo shops that it I need to bypass the amp meaning running new wire to the deck and connecting them to the aftermarket harness...anyone have a work around?

Thanks

You have to run a pair of speaker cables from HU to the rear deck.
It's a 10 minute job.

Jason, thought you only got rear door speakers on Avants, (I don't class tweeters as speakers, they are tweeters).
Sounds like you have the wrong harness adapter. You need the "active speaker" adapter from big halfords stores on caraudiodirect.
You should by pass the factory amp anyway as it's a piece of sh*t. All you have to do is run speaker cable from the HU to the rear speakers (all six of them!)

Surely it would be easier to utilise the wires running to the amp cut them and splice wires straight to the speaker, then work out what wire feed them from the harness in the dash for a quick fix. If not you could get a power divider that drops the output wattage of your stereo and hook in to the loom if you wanted to keep the amp for the rear speakers.

All i did was i know you will all tut was to make sure as it was an expensive head unit but paid the local dealership also where my mate works so i got it on the cheap to re-wire all cables incuding 10disc changer incorparated the amp and it sounds beautiful!

Thanks...does anyone have a link to the site with the harness?

I just ripped everything out and ran new wiring, sounds great. All new speaker, subs, mp3, SIRIUS. It takes a weekend, but not to difficult.