Heater blower motor fix

Mazza

MOnkEy
Reaction score
well my heater motor was playing up, sometimes it would work most of the time nothing,oh and sometimes it would work but make a nice knocking noise,so i thought i would have it out and check part numbers and stuff..while it was on the floor i thought lets spay a whole can of electrical contact cleaner in it and see what happens!!!!well....it works fine now...:yahoo:.....so much crap came out of it i spose it was just the brushes got gunked up!!!!!!so before you get a new one spray the hell out of it and see what happens!!!!!
all the best all..xxxx

i hope you reoiled the bearings after spraying it all with solvent?

I'm not saying that its defo going to pack up again, its a motor which is quite a simple device, but if you didnt reoil/grease the bearings i dont imagine it will last too long!

thanks for that i think mines on the way out too, just to confirm is that the fan behind and under the glove compartment?

Yes that's the one. The motor brushes wear out after 5-6 years. You can get some additional life from them by cleaning them up with WD40 and extending the springs, but mine only lasted a couple of weeks. It's a very common problem on B5's. I even tried replacing the brushes, but this made the motor really noisey.
There are plenty of new Valeo motors available on ebay for less than £50, so it's an easy fix:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-A4-VW-PA...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

oh ******....just when i thought i had it licked!!!!!!!!!yes i did re-oil it after cleaning but it looks like it might just die anyway....oh well will have to buy a new one then..thanks for the heads up though so at least i know its gonna go pop again soon....

Think yourself lucky I had to pay £180 for mine as ebay didn't exist! Dealer wanted £360!

Yes that's the one. The motor brushes wear out after 5-6 years. You can get some additional life from them by cleaning them up with WD40 and extending the springs, but mine only lasted a couple of weeks. It's a very common problem on B5's. I even tried replacing the brushes, but this made the motor really noisey.
There are plenty of new Valeo motors available on ebay for less than £50, so it's an easy fix:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-A4-VW-PA...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

When my heater blower began to play up that is where I bought mine from, that seller is actually the main GSF branch in Birmingham, arrived very quickly and was a Valeo part............