ALL FUEL GAUGES EMPTY

AUDI TURBO

Reaction score
i put £20.00 of petrol in did about 80miles and my osd shoed about 50miles left which about righ. the petrol light was NOT on and the gauge it self was just below quater. now the osd says 0 miles, petrol ligh on and gauge doesnt register any petrol?????????? i put another £15 in and nothing registers. help?? any ideas

Hi
It could be This
It certainly was on mine. It may be worth also just checking the connections are ok on the fuel sender before you dive into the tank.
Si.

I would say it was the issue brought up above, quite common on A4s I believe. Mine does a similar thing, gets to certain points on the gauge and drops to nothing, and the DIS follows suit as they're all tied together, drive a little further and it pops back up again, and the mpg etc registers again. An easyish fix, a cheap one at least for once. Never bothered fixin it though on mine yet as I jsut got used to it. One day!

Faulty fuel level sender for sure.

Min'e a bit erratic too, haven't had time to replace.

Mines been erratic this last week, i went to tesco`s and had 30 miles on DIS and when I came out the petrol light came on and I had 5miles left, luckily i was beside the petrol station. Although I gotta admit its weird seein it lose 25miles and previously this week the needle strangely had a bit of a wobble when I was sitting idle while waiting for the wife to finish.

and the fuel sender seems ok as it voltage etc is correct. get and dashboard check etc done on wednesday. it my birthday so my treat is to repair my car

the fuel sender doesnt emit a voltage?

its a resistor which changes with the fuel level

If you measure the resistance of the sender with the wiring disconnected you should see whats going on.

looks like a fuel pump sender problem. done a full system check on display unit the gauges are not faulty. so new sender required it must be that thin wire that has snapped.

You cant just fix the wire it resistance based and very thin. ordering new sender from audi. for what it costs and the pain in **** where it is i might aswell tret it to a new one. ive spent £1500.00 repairing this car whats a new fuel sender eh?? grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. THIS THE WORST CAR IVE EVERE EVER OWNED.

EVERYTHING that could go wrong has.i love the car but it taking the pee now ive only just owned it a year and it practically had everything replaced

did you actually read the thread linked to above?

The resistor is likely fine, there is a wire that attaches the moving part to the rest of the sender which wears out and breaks

http://vader.inow.com/~drbob/fuel.html

this link shows you what to do, might take some time, but it wont cost anything to fix.

http://vader.inow.com/~drbob/fuel/sendingunit.jpg

there you can see the wire, in brown, and it looks knackered. The resistor is the stripey bit on the white casing at the top of the photo, completely seperate things

yes i did read the link the problem is mine was NOT like that my sender both old and new did not have that wire attched to it. new sender fitted and all is ok. unless they have modifed the new sender????? thanks for help guys

AT How much did the sender cost you from the stealers.

Mine seems to have gone yesterday. been flaky a while now does not want to work at all

M

ABOUT £45.00. it cured problem but now i got really odd fuel mpg £15.00 ive jsut got 60 mile form it and no i not bin heavy footed................ maybe new fuel filter