New User, New Car, Little Problem.

Rainesie

Reaction score
Hello people. I've recently purchased a 1995(N) A4 1.8T. Done about 60k with fsh. It had been standing dormant for a while before i bought it but it made the 70 miles home with no problem. This was about 7-10 days ago. Since then i've only started it a few times and this morning i went to start it and the battery was dead, nothing to it at all so i jump started it, ran it round the block and on idle for 10mins or so and now it seems fine although the revs jump between 500 and 1000 rpm after i've revved the engine and it returns to idle.

The battery is charging at a sufficent voltage as i've had a meter on it so i'm wondering if it was purely cos it has been sitting idle. Also i have noticed that the boot central locking motor seems very whiney and wondered if this could be faulty and causing a drain on the battery.

Any advice greatly appreciates. Apologies for going on, wanted to get as many facts as possible down.

my boot lock motor is whiney and it was on my polo before i got my a4. i think it is supposed to be like that as there is a pump on the right hand side of the boot behind the cover which creates a vacuum to operate all of the locks. it is the pump that makes the whiney noise! Check that you've not left a phone charger in the cigarette lighter or something which could drain the battery.

If the car has been sitting for some time then you may be better of just replacing the battery as some of the sells could be damaged, It may take a charge but will not hold it for long.

i thought it may have been the stereo as i had left the face on but it doesnt need the ignition on to operate it. i reckon it is purely the fact that it isnt getting much use at the moment. i turned the engine over for 45mins this morning and all seems okay.

It may be the stereo if you dont need the ignition to operate it then it will never go into ingnition off standby mode, where it only keeps the minor memory alive.
I have had a car before with that problem.

Probably just the battery, might not do any harm to get a new one, batteries do run out... Its 8 years old..

I replaced the battery on my 96 A4 and the car went into some sort of limp mode for a while, the revs kept going up and down, I think it tests the car after the battery has been changed!!

Hope this helps

That is one thing that is odd about the car, i would think that if you left the radio on and took off and set your alarm i would think that the radio out shut off as well and not stay on. IMO

Its an aftermarket sony headunit. It just turns on and off with a little off button regardless of ignition on or off. It was a wee bit sluggish to start this morning but it did and ran for 45mins no probs except the revs dipping after i revved it. I think its nothing a new battery and some regular use won't hurt. Just wish the DVLA would hurry up with my V5.