What oil for 1.8T?

Oranoco

Reaction score
Website
www.passionford.com
Sent my missus into the parts place yesterday to grab some plugs, filter and oil.

The bloke recomended an oil and she came home with it. Problem is it's an £11 bottle of semi synthetic oil by Planet. To be honest I'm less than excited at the prospect of that stuff protecting my engine especially as I drive the car quite hard.

Any recomendations?

Fuches 5w-40 fully syn from GSF £16 for 4L

Most places do seem to recommend semi for this engine, i guess thats all vag stipulated was required.

I use 5w40 Comma fully synth usually and change it every 5k, i realise its not a proper PAO/Ester synthetic oil, but its a 170k engine and i cant really justify putting 35quid/4L oil in it for it to all **** out the exhaust. Comma stuff is about £15/5L ish from the local factors.

full synth 5w 30 mobil one, on special at costco at £19

Took th ePlanet oil back which was fun as it was a sort of arguement as he insisted it was the correct oil and I insisted I would rather put cooking oil in my engine. OPted for the Comma fully synth (although it's actually a Hydracracked mineral oil as opposed to a true fully synthetic which is an Ester or PAO).

Got some BKR7E's as well at £5 the set which I believe are a level colder so should be better suited to my engine and my lead right foot.

Got some BKR7E's as well at £5 the set which I believe are a level colder so should be better suited to my engine and my lead right foot.

I put the 7E's in mine when i had the Big Turbo going. Runs crap on 7E's with the normal KO3 and a chip they are far to cold to be running, you need 6E's with a chip 7E's when your running BT or Nitrous.

6E's with a 0.28 gap is perfect i 99% of cases. :icon_thumright: