Airbag - how much MAX to fix

manikm

Reaction score
My airbags dont work, and have been dis-armed during a 12 month full service.
How much should i expect to pay (i think it needs a new ignitor or something) for repair of these?
Is it worth repairing before selling the car (car has done 150,000) miles

I would say yes to repairing before selling, if i saw a car thats airbags were disarmed i probably wouldn't even take a look at it. They best way to find out how much MAX you would have to pay is to call up a Dealer and have them give you a price. There might be a tech article on how to replace the ignitors or whatever else is the problem. Here is a link

www.audiworld.com/tech

lol - I took it into audi, they reset the light, and it didnt come back on!!! - was in and out in 15 mins and they didnt charge me!

5 months ive been driving with that light on, fearing a 500quid bill

I wouldn't be very safe knowing that they turned off my Airbag warning light and me knowing that it was also disarmed. Thats going to get you in a lot of trouble if you were to sell the car with the airbag warning light off and then that person were to get into an accident and the airbags don't deploy. You might be looking at a law suit. BE CAREFUL!!!

It's funny isn't it? People will spend shedloads of cash on wringing a few more bhp out of their engine or putting in new speakers, but won't spend a penny on fixing something that might save their lives.

[ QUOTE ]
jdp1962 said:
It's funny isn't it? People will spend shedloads of cash on wringing a few more bhp out of their engine or putting in new speakers, but won't spend a penny on fixing something that might save their lives.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously

no its not been disarmed.
Audi ran diags on the ecu and reset the light, and it didnt come back on, so its got the Audi all clear - i wouldnt have taken the bulb out! i could have got done for manslaughter

Lads,

A littly bit of info for you regarding the airbags.

I have disconnected the passenger airbag on my 1998 A4 due to not being able to use a baby seat in the front. As I do not have the SE model there is no disable switch in the glove box. The airbag warning light is on all the time, which i would expect. The dealers do sell a special plug that you connect into the airbag wiring harness, the plug has a resister across the 2 pins that fool the ECU into believing that the airbag is ok. They tried to charge me over £30 for it, hence I just unplugged the airbag and will plug it back in again after my little one moves to the back seat. To get access to the plug you need to remove the glove box. The other way the airbag can be disabled is to do it through the Diag port. The only problem with this is if your battery is on its last legs and the voltage drops below approx. 9 Volts, this can happen when cranking the engine, especially diesels, then the airbag can be reactivated without you knowing. Not good in an accident with a child seat in the front. This information came from an Audi engineer.

Hope it helps.....

Jim.

I think the reason for the delay is the internal computer is checking to make sure its "ok", but i could be wrong