Opinions-carbon bonnet

stapo69

All hail the mighty quattro!
Reaction score
Thinking ahead, just thought i'd see what folks thought.

Found this pic of a carbon bonnet with painted outer edges.

avalons4.jpg

Not liking the painted grill, thinking leaving the standard silver, or maybe satin black? But do like the painted outer edges along the original bonnet lines.

I have the RS4 front bumper on the way. Also I have the RS4 grill already, along with carbon mirror caps and b-pillars fitted so thinking this may be next on the list?

What do you guys think? :uhm:

I like it, but don't like bonnet pins, which CF bonnets need.

Then there's also the issue of UV damage over time.
B-pillar and mirror caps are ok.
But a bonnet, being such a large area, and horizontal to the sun, it'll go brown in time.

i don't really dig the carbon bonnet thing

i much prefer noggy blue...

I had read that they can change colour over time, Seibon are supposed to be a good make that coat theirs with UV reflective coating, supposedly reducing the fade over time, but still inevitable over time i guess. Needs to be kept well clean and looked after too. Pray for good old **** British weather!

And again I'm with you on bonnet pins, doesn't seem to be much of a way around it, even with the standard bonnet latch being used, the corners lift, even though you'd think it'd be stronger! There is the option of some decent quality flush fitting items, but still spoil the lines a wee bit.

Hmmmmmm

<<<< goes looking for a standerd RS4 bonnet.:undwech:

mine needs spraying any ways so i mite as well spray a beefy 1!!

The RS4 bonnet is the same as the A4's no difference at all and no they are not made of ally as some people thought.

I like it but as stated you will need bonnet pin's I dont like them hence why I have never gone down this route. As for going brown if it does just paint the whole thing Noggy job done oh and the heat of the enginee will help turn it brown too.

looks excellent and I like the sprayed edges, but I agree pins and colour coded grill spoil the look

wonder if there would be a way of using bonded metal plates on the under side and magnetic lock, probably something similar to those used on fire doors so with electric switches, that way they can be on when running to keep bonnet down tight and off when engine off to save power and not be needed then as the standard bonnet catch keeps it locked??

wonder if there would be a way of using bonded metal plates on the under side and magnetic lock, probably something similar to those used on fire doors so with electric switches, that way they can be on when running to keep bonnet down tight and off when engine off to save power and not be needed then as the standard bonnet catch keeps it locked??

Not a bad idea that and you can get them in 12v DC

Colour coded aero catches dont look too bad , got a friend with a R33 with them , they was carbon to match bonnet then painted bonnet and colour coded , you can hardly notice them..... well alot less anyway

The RS4 bonnet is the same as the A4's no difference at all and no they are not made of ally as some people thought.

I like it but as stated you will need bonnet pin's I dont like them hence why I have never gone down this route. As for going brown if it does just paint the whole thing Noggy job done oh and the heat of the enginee will help turn it brown too.

oh...

i thought they were made of ali. i learn yet another b5 fact!

:thumbsup:

I prefer it fully painted in noggy blue. I don't like the bonnet pins either but one company states that their A4 bonnet come with OEM latch. How effective they are I don't know.

i like it.i think the main reason for doing it is that the carbon looks nice.carbon pannels and doors would be nice so inconsiderate **** holes dont dent the sides of the car as well.

Seibon do make bonnets that use the original latch, and don't require bonnet pins, just like the picture above. Personally if i was going to buy a carbon bonnet i would leave some area uncovered, and i like the way he's done this on the pic. The only major difference is weight, but cosmetic looks as well....Why do people change most things on the car? Mostly cosmetic looks, like the rs4 grille etc.....does nothing extra but looks better!

Phantom, a guy over on Audi World bought a CF bonnet, that the manufacturer's claimed had a reinforced section to fit the factory pin / catch to.

Said it didn't need aftermarket pins.

The bonnet burst oped at speed, and the guy spent time in hospital, as his screen broke too, and his face was a mess! (Both airbags went off).

Do a search on there, there are pictures of the damage - both to the car, as well as his face.

I wouldn't trust a CF without aftermarket pins, and as I don't like the pin-look, I'd pass.

I had a similar scenario back in 2001 - my Sport Quattro fibreglass bonnet (part of the Rieger GTO Competition kit on my RS2-engined B2 Coupe Quattro blew off on the A2.

Luckily, my damage was limited to my roof and scuttle, my screen and face were fine.

Just food for thought.

well ive had my carbon bonnet now for around a year without using bonnet pins, and is fully secure i do check every so often for stress and cracks

the bonnet i use is a fiber images from the states

my bonnet is fully carbon and not a two peace like sebon which uses a glassfiber frame and carbon top skin.

As long as the clear coat has a UV protector its unlikey that the bonnet will go brown, its a clear coat just like on your own cars paint work.

Billybravo, can you get hold of these bonnets? What sort of price would I be looking at?

It looks awesome, i think theyve done it jsut right not too in your face but will get ppl wondering.

if I was going to do that I would go for a whole composite lift off front end for strength and weight.
I am not going on a diet anytime soon and they are waaaay pricey for a decent one (and by that I mean one with UV block finish and original latch fitting.

I looked at a kevlar front end for my Mk2 golf when I was going all anorexic track day beast...costly and gettting a decent fit was an issue

Seibon do them with a good UV protection and use of the original bonnet latch too. But as pointed out earlier, is it worth trusting just that? In a car that'll do easily 150+, no that I drive at that speed of course......

The best option I've found for bonnet pins/catches are these, nice and flush and can easily be colour coded. They do ones that mount from the top, and ones that mount from underneath, which would look great if there was a way of fitting them without having the bolts coming through the bonnet, and leaving just the latches. But I can't think how it could be done, except bonding them on from underneath, but I can't see that being strong enough?

http://www.aerocatch.com/