just out of interest... (500bhp)

brendan

98 A4 1.8SE
Reaction score
just out of interest what would it take, in terms of parts / cost / work involved, to get 500bhp from a standard s4? or what about 400bhp - much cheaper?

i assume it's fairly "cheap" to get to 330bhp or so (remap + uprated pipes, dv, egr?)

it's not something i can ever see myself doing - i could only just about afford a standard s4 - but was wondering what cost really big power comes at. would such a car remain driveable for everyday use? also, i see a lot of talk about 710, egr, other jargon - could someone explain what these terms mean? i know what an fmic is though :)

it would just help me understand what folk are on about while i'm stuck with my 1.8se :) - cheers,

710 is part of the part number of the diverter valves, commonly uprated from 710As to stronger 710Ns.

EGR is probably more likely EGT, exhaust gas temperature sensor, another common failing point.

Parts themselves are not massively expensive, still looking at £4k upwards to start with though, it's the work involved too, engine out for a fair bit of the work, and also the stress put on other parts which lead to possibly a chain of failures, depending on maintenance and a bit of luck!

Starts with bigger turbos, which need more air in, so bigger stronger pipework and hoses,air box etc. cooler air, so bigger intercoolers. quicker gases out, bigger exhaust/downpipes. more fuel in, bigger injectors. More power through the drivetrain, so stronger clutch. Bigger brakes to cope with it all. The mapping work involved in setting it all up. The list goes on!

As with living with it day to day, that prob depends on how big your wallet is and how heavy your right foot is!

I know plenty of people running big power quite happily, others that have spent £20k-£40k running and maintaining their cars.

my s4 is currently running 500bhp,its still perfectly tractable as a daily car and easy to live with although i dont use it every day,to get 500 bhp you will need k04 turbos which will be right at their limit or hybrids,better intercoolers or a front mount intercooler,bigger injectors,higher flow fuel pump as well as other bits such as tweaked manifolds,good exhaust etc.. if you want to extract as much power as possible
few pics here http://bahnstorm.net/gallery.asp?jp...udi+s4+bi+turbo&trk=galleryPageLink&trkdata=1

my s4 is currently running 500bhp,its still perfectly tractable as a daily car and easy to live with although i dont use it every day,to get 500 bhp you will need k04 turbos which will be right at their limit or hybrids,better intercoolers or a front mount intercooler,bigger injectors,higher flow fuel pump as well as other bits such as tweaked manifolds,good exhaust etc.. if you want to extract as much power as possible
few pics here http://bahnstorm.net/gallery.asp?jp...udi+s4+bi+turbo&trk=galleryPageLink&trkdata=1

that is the nuts!!!! i love the diagnostics running through the head unit. i can only but dream!! lol

nice motor mate