2.0+l 20v stroker build thread (GT2871)

I'm tempted to do the same.. to start with I think I'll just stick a filter on the breather pipe and see what occurs.

A bit of extra oily turbo lube might not be a bad thing though lol.

sorry nothing major to add until the manifold and downpipe turn up.

got the velocity stack for the interior of my airbox/filter assembly.
4" spun aluminium fits straight onto the MAF
IMAG0127.jpg

IMAG0128.jpg

won't stick up that high as there is a 1" overlap on the MAF adapter and the stack

Also just about finished the gauge install. (bit of a crappy surface internally but it is matt balck and I really don't care!)

fits perfectly with a bit of a trim to the lower shelf, retains the OEM damper opening for James Bond styling and removes any chav element. I have a column mounted twin guage holder as a back up for those too fast too furious street racing nights!
IMAG0129.jpg

IMAG0130.jpg

For an engine of this kind of spec do you not think it'd be worthwhile going for decent aftermarket management (like Pectel) and ditching the unreliable TB and removing the need for the MAF? It'd give you considerably more scope with regards to tuning and future expansion.

aftermarket brings with it a host of problems by itself (limited knock control and basic mapping unless you either know how to do it yourself or pay through the nose. A Motec system and set up from Dialynx is well over £3k for example).
The stock ECU is easily capable of managing power well in excess of my goals. They are running 1200cc injector files and GT35/40 turbos over 800bhp.
SEM on a 2871 is not really practical when drop in files can max out the turbo anyway. would make sense if it was a stripped out dragster with a35r framed turbo...but even then.
This is a daily driver and the file I plan to run is pretty much plug and play, keeping idle and driveability.
MAF based systems are not ideal but for what I am going for it suits its purpose.

Engine spec is admittedly a bit of overkill, I was feeling flush and fancied a challenge.
ultimately what it does give me is the ability to unclip two vband clips, a jubilee clip and a couple of oil and water lines, pull out the 2871 and drop in ANY other Vband turbo up to and beyond GT35.
If the Tapp file is as good as they say then I can just swap out the ECU to a 850cc file or 1000cc file and match the injectors to it. everything else from fuel pump to exhaust manifold and engine components are up to the job.

I am not planning on pulling it out before I have fitted it, but I don't want to be pulling the engine gearbox anytime soon to replace valves/rods/clutch etc because they have been eaten.

Ed%20Bewsher%20062.jpg

all welded up and on its way.......final piece required

Whats happening with the v6 lump in the backround?

its here.....

IMAG0030.jpg

testfitted, hoping to get some time to get it all built up and pull the old engine this/next week

Good work fella, very similar spec as mine. Love the V band turbine housing.

Keep it up fella, you'll soon get there, I know how hard it is to keep motivated.

I'll keep my eye on your progress. If I can help in anyway, you know where to find me.

i wouldn't put that in the car, that would have pride and place in my lounge,

yeah, thats about as far as it has got in the last few months!! makes a lumpy coffee table though!

I keep planning on doing it and taking a few days out then one thing and another happens and it doesn't get started! problem is the car is my daily and the garage is 30 mins away from my house so I can't even just pop out and tinker away here and there.
combination of three kids under 5, being self employed, landscaping the garden, building a 8x8ft hardwood shed and painting the house.
swear my wife keeps finding things for me to do to stop me doing it as she knows I will either kill myself or lose my license if I finish it!

will get done! gone too far not to.

Perhaps pickup an old smoker for a few hundered quid to get you about while the Audi is off the road? takes the pressure off a little for trying to find a continous block of time to do the swap and get all the niggles ironed out before you need the car again?

Or give it to me and ill put it in mine. Sound like a plan?:icon_thumright:

well the plan was that I would have my sisters old justy for a month but the chap who has been trying to sort a gasket issue for the MOt has not been able to do it.

BUT>>>>>>>>>

as of last night I have today and tomorrow with no work, no kids and a ride (car rather than female recreational!).
Going to do rear subframe today, engine tomorrow!
Sound ambitious!!??

or more likely is I will start the subframe, snap something, break something, shear something, lose a bolt and spend the next week trying to find parts!

still ...moving slowly forward

hehe, it took mark and i two days to pull the engine, fit a new clutch cambelt etc and refit the new engine on the old FWD. Could probably have done it quicker had we done the cambelt and clutch etc before hand, and worked longer hours as we took it at quite a relaxed pace, but i'd say you'd be struggling to get it all done in one day!

rear subframe and diff is out in a oner - 3.5 hours. only sheared one bolt (an exhaust hanger on the back of the diff!, not needed!)
only had half a day so am glad it is out.
am planning on fitting the Quaife ATB, diff seals and a couple of bushes whilst it is out so won't be a "refit is reversal of removal"....
The brake lines are a *******! have some braided hoses that need to be swapped over but the OEM male end from the hardlines are made of chocolate. have some spares but will need to do some new hardlines and flared ends which will add to the ball ache tomorrow

discovered something remarkable about the bent bit. will stick it in the rear suspension thread though.

Once this is done I reckon I can get the engine "out and in" in two days max. might even get another break next week to do it!

Good work!

I'm planning something similar on mine soon, although i dunno if i will drop the whole frame, or just drop the diff and wishbones etc out.

the brakes (hand and foot) are a ballache if you drop the whole thing. took more time than everything else combined

update?

What ECU code and did you sent the ECU to Tapp to chip/solder?

ha, the only time I ever get anything done is when someone on here reminds me I have an engine to fit!

the subframe issue tooks ages longer than it should. I have spent the last few weeks relocating everything from the garage I had to one outside the back of my house (in theory so I could do more in short stints!) but I had to replace the ****** roof before I could move in!!

Engine is going in within the next couple of weeks or so once I have got everything sorted.

Chris Tapp provided me with a spare ECU from a similar car, I just gave him teh code from my AJL car and he mapped one he had (I hope he knows his sh1t or it will severely **** things up!!) will test the ECU on this engine before i pull it and swap it over.

I am just fabricating the inlet tract whilst the engine is on a stand so I can have it "drop in" ready. Its a bit of a faff as it is a 3" Turbo inlet, and a 4" MAF and whilst I could squeeze it all n there with a sheilded cone I need some straight pipe between Filter and MAF and MAF and Turbo. I have a 4" velocity stack that I am bounting directly on the bolt on MAF collar which will sit quite close behind a panel filter in a custom airbox behind teh headlight. other wise I have to run all sorts of pipe work to get a cone down behind the fog light area.
My biggest concern is that I have read that people have a turbulence issue with the recirc valve being so close to the MAF. ****** narrow band cars!! should have bought a b6 (if they were so pig ugly!)

I could do with some spare parts for fitting the inlet mani and other bits and bobs to speed up the swap. kids go back to school in week! Hurray!! get my freetime back!!

How are you getting along with the freetime? :p

getting there, picking up a new engine hoist this week, just pulling together some bits and bobs so I can limit down time.
have a couple of minor bits to get (nuts and bolts, injector spacers etc) then I will crack on.

going to wire up the EBC and AFR this week, check the ECU actually works (a big hurdle if it doesnt!).
hopefully getting some spare bits from a couple of chaps on here to finish the block off (fuel rail, breather bits etc)

have a major flaw in teh inlet which will mean more fabrication as it wont go where I wanted to put it. means using a cone instead of a panel which I was hoping may work.

discovered my engine builder didnt have a windage tray to refit and he didn't let me know so it many need one before it drop it in.
Other than that I have to pull off a flywheel bolt to double check as someone seems to have had a problem with their TTV FW and fouling bolts
dont want to discover that on start up!

getting their...slowly

I'll hopefully get my B6 pulled home this next week or 2 at most, so if your needing any bits I should be in a position by then mate. I want to get it back asap so I can get stripping it down.

ha, yes quite!
not had a chance to do much to it recently.
had to pull the flywheel off as someone on srs scared me with stories of wrong sized bolts.

have sourced a fuel rail and will be fitting the inlet mani and injectors this week hopefully, have some porting of the inlet to do first.

highly unlikely I will pull the engine until after christmas now as I going away on the 11th for 3 weeks and wouldn't want to start it and not finish it before I go. still need a couple of little bits to have everything to hand.......

slow going!