Sky InsuranceEM Tuning
    1st Gear

Status

excursion airbox?

hi m8, just wanted to know where you drilled your airbox and what kind of sound it makes, does it make any sounds as you lift off the gas? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status

Re: excursion airbox?

I have heard of excursion drilling his airbox, but i don't know what that means? It is allowing more air in or just making it sound better, or what.....

1st Gear

Status

its just for sound m8

5th Gear

Status

I did this to my S3 and you get a nice burble from the engine and a nice pssssttt! from the DV.

I sucks in more hot air than a sealed box, but if you add a decent cold air feed it will be fine.

1st Gear

Status

nice 1 m8, i shall drill the ole beaach in the morning

6th Gear

Status

I spoke to AMD about this so called drilling and they said unless you want to replace the air mass meter every few thousand miles then dont do it.
    A good example was that they showed me a 500bhp RS4 still using the factory air box....
    Its not really reccommended. As the ECU knows exactly how much air goes in the normal box.

1st Gear

Status

are you saying that the RS4 needs a larger induction kit, or that the factory airbox is fine?

6th Gear

Status

The normal air box is great for tuning up to and maybe over 500BHP there is no need to get any induction kits etc.

4th Gear

Status

I have drilled the bottom of my airbox, I put 6 x 20mm holes in the bottom. Nice sound from the V6, not too noisy. I can always cover them up if required..

1st Gear

Status

if AMD said that i would not take my car to them as it sounds like ballicks. How can it damage the maf?
    and 500 bhp out of a rs4 is not that big a deal its just a chip, probably has standard exhaust aswell but that doesnt mean thats the way it should be done, some people like noise from their car, some people like a milk float sound.
    What i am sayin is it all personal taste.

1st Gear

Status

I agree, so will an induction kit not give you any hp over the stock drop-in filter?

6th Gear

Status

It would take more than a chip to get 500bhp from an RS4.

1st Gear

Status

I fhe specs were anything like the RS6 i wouldn't doubt it. But from 280-500 is an awful lot for just a chip. In the states, a chiped RS6 goes from 450hp-520hp(93oct.), but i hoestly wouldn't know about the RS4

1st Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Audi_A4_Quattro said:
    I agree, so will an induction kit not give you any hp over the stock drop-in filter?

[/ QUOTE ]

Induction kits alone do little for hp increases. Coupled with free-flowing exhausts and a chip, they will "complement" and aid in the increase of hp.

Neutral

Status

most 'induction kits' add the sound that people want their car to have when accelerating its a nice sound and for under 100 if it doesnt hinder performance i cant blame anyone for buying one.

1st Gear

Status

So we're just talking cosmetics (or sound) then?

OK, but it's a price to pay just so your car "sounds" better.

4th Gear

Status

Were talking sound

I think holes in the air box mean you can cover them back up if its too noisy..

75mm induction kits can be bought on ebay for 14 buy now..

couldn't be bad for that money

1st Gear

Status

I was bored one Sunday nite and decided to have a look at the airbox after seeing the other thread. I took it out which was fairly straight forward. you have to un-clip a couple of wires and take out about three screws, just remember where everything goes and you can`t go wrong

Once the airbox is out, take it apart, remove the filter, I gave mine a good clean at the same time. I drilled about 15 1cm holes in the bottom of the airbox. It sounds really good, you can only hear it if I want you to! Anything over 2000rpm and it comes in, a deep low down growl

I don`t see anything wrong with drilling the airbox. I decided to do it once I realised that my A4 had a decent heat shield as standard, that was the deciding factor. If you need to fill the holes back up for whatever reason you can do

Go hav a play..

5th Gear

Status

I went to a car breakers and got one for 5 and hacked that incase I did not like the noise so I could put my original back on..........I seem to alternate one month to another, depending on my mood

1st Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    curtis11 said:
    if AMD said that i would not take my car to them as it sounds like ballicks. How can it damage the maf?
    and 500 bhp out of a rs4 is not that big a deal its just a chip, probably has standard exhaust aswell but that doesnt mean thats the way it should be done, some people like noise from their car, some people like a milk float sound.
    What i am sayin is it all personal taste.

[/ QUOTE ]

Steady on. Hhmm I too would be suprised to hear this would damage the MAF. But AMD know their stuff I can certainly vouch for that. I am a very happy customer of theirs. Regarding 500bhp from an RS4 from a chip alone. Alass not true. If so I'd have had mine chipped by now!! 420bhp from a basic remap but the torque jumps from 320ftlbs to 400ftlbs [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif[/img]. Full Miltech i.e. 200cell CATS etc. 458bhp and 430ftlbs. 530bhp & 500ftlbs costs 14K!! Hybrid turbos, Gas flowed heads, Ceramic pistons, etc etc. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif[/img]

1st Gear

Status

how can it damage the maf? i dont think its possible.
    As for your car only 40 bhp increase i think i would ask for my money back, i am suprised you even notice a 10.5% increase