GIAC introduces Flashing and Switching for the nDBW B5 A4

docurley

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
hometown.aol.co.uk
On my never ending hunts around the net for info I came across this from GIAC (who are one of the biggest software tuners in the USA) and they are now doing chipping through the OBD port on the older car which as some of you know getting your car chipped can be a pain.

Anyway here's a bit of info on the subject and buy the way there is a Main GIAC dealer in Southampton with some other around the country.

GIAC software for non drive-by-wire 1.8T and 30 valve 2.8L A4s is now OBD2 port flash able! In addition to convenient, fast and reliable flashing, GIAC is proud to announce full switching capabilities for the non drive-by-wire 1.8T ECUs as well (2.8L will be available soon). Our basic pump gas software will now have options that are switchable on the fly that include 100 octane performance, stock, and valet and kill modes. There will be two switching options to change programs with. The first is our Handheld Flash loader Switcher, which enables the user to switch on the fly without the need for a laptop on hand. A second option is our software switcher which will be downloadable on the GIAC website shortly. This software requires a computer and an OBD2 cable connection (vag-com or similar that has a K-Line functionality). At this time, the software switcher will only be functional via a USB cable (EDIT: Handhelds WILL be available at Waterfest and are NOW available for order at all GIAC dealers, *NOTE: nDBW cars use a special handheld, they are not compatible with all GIAC handhelds*). This will later include serial cables as well.
Flash loaded software and all of the options will be available on-site at Waterfest 14 at an introductory MSRP of $300.00 for the non drive-by-wire 1.8T and $250.00 for the non drive-by-wire 30 valve 2.8L pump gas programs! An additional 10% off will be available on all of the optional switching modes we have available. If you are one of the few who does not have GIAC software, it is time to get flashed!
For current customers who wish to upgrade from their socket files to the newly upgrade flash files, they can do so with GIAC ECU Service found here: http://www.giacusa.com/customer_ecu_service.php. Please note, as a manufacturer, we do not sell to the public and all new flashes will still need to be purchased from one of our many great authorized dealers. ECU Service is for existing GIAC users only.
We currently have K03 and K04 (5 bar and PC16) software available.

UK contact is this website http://www.vag-tuner.com/

I may use them to do my ECU as they can use the current USA PC16 file as a base map for my Hybrid K04 and then fine tune it when I get down there for a rolling road session.

Cost is £350 for a custom remap but this will be done live on the roller so no need to pop the chip out and re-weld a new chip in each time.

Am I right in thinking this would only work on the post '97 models? Pre '97 they were OBD1 IIRC?

it hasn't, they just have pants support and marketing!
star performance (Fife) are a Giac dealer.

if you check out the core US tuners for 20v hybrid turbo applications they probably come third or fourth after Unitronic, Revo, APR, followed by Tapp Auto who cover BT pre-DBW Audi's specifically.

sooner they sort out their Euro distribution the better!

I was meaning the flash for older ecu types as I thought this was a new thing they had developed as over here before all the others could not flash either. They all had to resolder a new chip on.

Hmm How strange, its our chips that limit the amount of flashes etc, Ours are once only ROM. You need a chip with an "r" on it iirc to be re flashable.
Also we only have me5 and i am sure we need at least me7 for it to reflashable

I am curios now......