Considering selling my 2000 1.8TQS

Bong Water

In two minds
Reaction score
Car on auto trader, pm if interested, info deleted due to troll

Its defo for sale now, the splitter is very easy to remove, if the potential new owner doesnt want it I will remove it although it looks much better with it although thats just my opinion of course!

If it sells ill be going back to jap, something with a high revving NA engine like a Toyota T-Sport or another Honda, they are great on fuel off cam. If it doesnt sell I will happily keep it as there is nothing wrong with it and its in great condition, its just a bit to big I dont use it, rear doors never even get opened!

too BIG? I find the a/s4 too small on occasion certainly when 4 up

There is only me who uses the car, fancy something smaller and sportier like a 3 door hatch or a coupe before my girlfriend starts popping sprogs and then ill go back to a decent saloon again

I doubt it, if I get an S3 ill start spending money on modding it and TBH I am not sure if want another Quattro, the servicing costs are really high compared to Honda/Toyota, the MPG is higher due to the heavier car, I fancy something cheaper to run at the mo whilst I do some saving, what can you get for £5K ish though, not a lot really so will be looking at borrowing some cash and probably spend about £8K, really want a Civic Type R but insurance is sooooo grim even for a 27 year old :(

Cheers but I only buy low mileage cars and want to buy from dealer hopefully next time round, I may even be keeping the A4 yet, not had any interest at all, considering trading it in but stand to lose a lot of money if I do that!

IMO your asking far too much for it.

Also why do you want to waste money buying the new car from a dealer? Surely if you want to get the best car from your 5/8k you'll get a better car by buying it privately...

In my book i'd rather have the slightly older, higher mileage car with the better specification than the younger car with less miles and worse spec for the same money. Which is exactly what we did when we baught our A4. We had a 2001 Fiesta with 60k on the clock, we couldnt afford to buy a more expensive car but we sold it and baught the '96 A4 with 155k on the clock for the same money. The missus was a little apprehensive about it at first because "its old" etc. But now shes more than happy with the A4 and its a far nicer more comfortable car to be in!

Don't even go there, for some misguided reason Bong seems to think low mileage cars are a good buy. The fact that you're paying over the odds for a car that's had a mechanically hard life (lots of short journeys, never getting up to temp) seems to go over his head.

£5490? ! :wacko: I paid around that for my avant 2 years ago!
Sorry, but £4k is top dollar for a B5 tqs nowadays. I wish it was higher, but it ain't.

Yes unfortunately for that money you can get a good B6 1.8TQS and one with a service book. I know it's all computerised, but I would be put off if there was nothing, kinda tells you how well the car has been looked after if a previous owner lost the most important document for the vehicle.

Well its a good thing I have a rather large amount of receipts!

I have based the price on a few days of scouring the internet looking at other models, yes you can get a B6 for similar money, however it will be an early B6 with higher miles and lesser spec.

If buying a car with higher miles is your thing then so be it, I prefer lower miles, we have had this discussion before I personally prefer a low mileage car. If you dont agree with the price then that is fair enough, however if I dont get what I want then I will keep it with no regrets as there is nothing wrong with it apart from the fact that its a large family car that I finding a little boring, expensive to maintain and is not my thing really

It's not my thing, it's just sensible.
So is a late B5 newer than an early B6? I didn't know they overlapped!
And it will be exactly the same spec with similar or even lower mileage and in a more sellable colour.
There's a few on AT at the moment, one with 68k miles in silver for £5.5k and the same again with 58k miles for £6k.

I never said they overlapped?! I said an early B6 can be had for similar money but higher miles and lesser spec!

I really cant be ***** having a discussion about it, if it sells it sells if it doesnt then it really doesnt matter! Ill trade it in when I have some more cash behind me. If you are in the market for an A4, then please go ahead and view the B6's you have noticed, if and when you want to view mine then let me know! The price is negotiable you may be happy to hear!

I was being sarcastic (obviously).
And as said for that money you can get a younger identical B6 version, not a lesser spec, or more miles. I know which I'd opt for.

The higher miles thing is a personal choice.

I do about 100 miles a week max, sometimes none at all so for me it just makes sense to buy a higher mileage car.

It does seem deer though....

It makes sense whatever mileage you do, the higher the better. Obviously everything is personal choice, otherwise no one would buy a car new, but there is absolutely no logical reason to buy a low mileage car.
1. they are priced artificially high
2. there is more chance they are clocked
3. they are mechanically inferior to a motorway cruiser. Lots of short journeys is hard on any vehicle and they won't have been serviced as regularly i.e. once a year rather than every 10k miles.
4. they depreciate more with every mile you put on them.

i don't have a problem with high mileage cars - my 1.8 had 103,000 when i bought it at 5 years old - it's now almost 10 years old and has 165,000 on the clock. apart from the dreaded cam chain tensioner it's been solid as a rock and barely skipped a beat.

anyway i digress - fwiw on face value i also think over 5 grand is a lot for the car (i'd rather put my money on a slightly older s4), but anyway good luck with the sale. :)

my 2000 1.8 tqs is just coming up for 170 000 miles and still going strong. its not immaculate but its not bad and was pretty dam cheap. most seem to be advertised about 2k more than what i paid.

The old mileage debate rears its head once more.
High-low-high-low mileage...

My car's covered 211,000 miles, and still pulls strongly.
A friend of mine has a '99 A4 2,4 SE, it's covered 97,000 miles, but engine sounds tired.

He was certainly impressed with mine, my cats are noisy, yet it still performs better than his!

He's also had both rear calipers replaced, oil pump, clutch master cylinder, n/s cylinder head gasket and the rear silencer, as it corroded through from the inside out.

All this on the low mileage car.

It makes sense whatever mileage you do, the higher the better. Obviously everything is personal choice, otherwise no one would buy a car new, but there is absolutely no logical reason to buy a low mileage car.
1. they are priced artificially high
2. there is more chance they are clocked
3. they are mechanically inferior to a motorway cruiser. Lots of short journeys is hard on any vehicle and they won't have been serviced as regularly i.e. once a year rather than every 10k miles.
4. they depreciate more with every mile you put on them.

I find this really amusing TBH, it goes against everything in my car buying experiance and I have owned a fair few cars.
You are saying a car with 120K of the same make/model/spec is worth the same as a car with 60K for example, sorry but thats rubbish!
If the history is there then how can it be clocked!? My car can be traced back to 15K miles with paperwork and back to PDI with a phone call to the Audi dealer of which serviced it for the first 5 years of its life.
As long as the car warms up and cools down properly and serviced as and when it is supposed to there is no reason why a low mileage car would be inferior as you put it, thats just ridiculous! The service light comes on after 12 months or how ever many miles for a reason and thats why service manuals state dates and miles!! Not everyone has a massive commute that involves lots of motorway driving, if cars were affected as bad as you say with low miles they wouldnt be sought after, the pricing would be the same or worse than a higher mileage example and cars would be all over the side of the roads breaking down!
Either way, the argument is stupid, its down to personal choice, I prefer to seek out a low mileage example, always have and will continue to do so :faint:

Bong, take it easy, just different opinions!

I've worked at Audi dealerships, what goes on behind the scenes, you wouldn't want to know.

A lot of the "techs" there had odd ways of servicing cars, when the were lazy, some of the new parts never found their way onto customers cars.

It's not uncommon to see techs doing a cam belt change, but not doing the water pump, because they couldn't be bothered to undo the bolts, and remove the back plate!

It's also worth noting, the records Audi UK have of services are based on the information the various dealerships send in. So although the books are stamped, some of the cars were not serviced!

High or low mileage, it's always best to purchase cars based on their current condition, rather than history. Service history is the easiest thing to forge.

Bong, take it easy, just different opinions!

Exactly :yes:

My car is in great condition as I was told by awesome gti last week. Some minor cosmetics as mentioned above but thats it

I just sold mine with the votex bodykit and 73K for £3330 with the DVD headunit FSH!

Was just going to ship it off 2 auction as well

Yes been advertised for 6 weeks or so, was on ph last year as well but hadn't made my mind up then.

Just couldn't get used to the 4 pot!

You've spent £800 on servicing in the last 6 months, and are getting 20mpg! Ummm great advert for low mileage cars. I've spent about £800 in the last 2 years on servicing our B6 TDi and it's done 40k miles in that time and 185k miles total, 48mpg.
You do the math!
"it goes against everything in my car buying experiance and I have owned a fair few cars".
Your buying experience seems to still be stuck in the 1970's when cars could only survive about 60k miles if you were lucky.
Anyone with half a brain realises that a low mileage car will usually be a second car in the household, doing the Tesco /School run and very little else. Do you honestly believe that lots of short journeys which usually end before the engine has reached 90 degrees, isn't going to impact the reliability of the mechanicals?
Now that is funny!

my 2000 1.8 tqs tells me i get 37 mpg on a long drive at normal speeds.its prob nearer 35 in reality but still ****** good for that sort of car.

MPG issue was down to a faulty maf which has been replaced, I just got 220 miles to £40 of fuel.
I always warm my car up and down properly, dont patronise me, I mean how the hell do you know what the car has done all its life, even if it sat in a garage for two years, SO WHAT? It has no effect on the car, yes I changed the cambelt and gave it a major service, because I look after my cars, now thats a bad thing apparently!

Do you want to stop hounding my thread, I mean, do I know you? What reason exactly is it that you are posting in this thread. I really dont give a **** about your B6 TDI, it sounds boring as does your continuous ranting about high mileage cars, you stick to that opinion and go and preach to someone else, ill stick to mine. If you knew anything about sales (regardless of what it is) you would know that you always go in as high as possible so you have room to discount, I am not going to shoot myself in the foot just because some one on a forum with nothing better to do says I should!

Anyway you will be pleased to hear its been reduced and is now in the auto trader, now you can run along as I am sure you will as it seems you have absolutley nothing better to do and have a look at what I put it up for. Its obviously not going to sell via this forum due to your ranting so any comments you may have on the price are irrelivant.

Oh and JPC, just out of interest what are you getting next?

ouch lol..

Bong mate I have a 04 plate Volvo s60 t5 SE on the drive with 109,000k

An ex plod you see....

Just replacing some engine mounts ten a remap to 310bhp is on the cards!

That's going to be fun with FWD!

"What reason exactly is it that you are posting in this thread"
Obviously just to wind you up, job done!
And don't blame me for your car not selling, I was referring to low mileage cars in general (obviously) and just used my own experiences as an example, which, compared to yours, proved the point. Your car won't sell because it's about £2k too expensive, nothing to do with mileage.
I've only been in sales 20 years so obviously still have a lot to learn! Feel free to dazzle me with your skills.

My car has been in the auto trader for a day I have already said if it doesnt sell ill keep it and at what point did I blame you for my car not selling in all of a day!
Nothing to do with mileage, you have been banging on about it for two days now and when I first posted up about by car months ago you started moaning about low mileage!
20 years and you dont know one of the most basic earners, how unfortunate after such a long time, I guess your time served gives a good insight as to why you have become a troll and for those who dont know what a troll is, in modern internet terms, it means someone who has nothing better to do than post stirring and utter useless rubbish on boards, forums etc

Could a mod delete this useless thread, thanks