Ghost window opening?

stebed

Reaction score
I have a 98 A4 Avant 2.8 Quattro, and have noticed on a couple of occasions one of the windows or the sunroof open on its own. I guess it is something to do with the total closure system but wondered if anyone else has had this and whats the cure?

hey yeh actually i have never noticed it with the windows but the sunroof will just on the tilt option open itself, i replaced the motor thinking it was just a fault as suggested by Audi but the same problem occured, though this is a very rare occurance it still happens i think it must be a glitch in the alarm but its easy to shut again.

yeah I have had it happen to the drivers window, sunroof and passenger window all in two weeks! It's just a bit worring if it happens when it's parked on the street. I may ask at the main dealers if they have heard of it before as I have to go there to collect a cam cover gasket.

Thanks for the reply.

sounds like a sensor issue or something in the main system... I am not familiar with the 98, but I know the 2000+ A4 can have its windows closed or opened using the key, maybe its somewhat related?

yeah mine will open and close the windows and roof on the key or the remote.

I havnt had any problem like that but I have had a problem with the factory alarm going off very frequently. It always happens on windy days, and it seams to happen all the time when I leave a window or the sunroof open. Does anyone know if leaving open a window or the roof causes the alarm to go off after a certain amount of time?

No, that wouldn't cause the alarm to go off, but since the alarm is also a motion sensing alarm, a leaf or anything moving inside the car while the alarm is armed could have triggered it....

I returned to the car once to find the window open. The alarm was on but not going off even though it was raining heavily. Opened my rear door to find whole back seat covered in rain water. The heavy rain entering the car didnt seem to set the alarm off, weird.

hmm..... did you change anything electrical? I mean bulbs or anything? It seems to me your main ECU is screwed up... I know that the A4's ECU controls more than engine firing and fuel map.. as a matter of fact, everything is controlled through that ECU... get it checked