Badger5Chris Nott
    Reverse Gear

Status

Newbie with Turbo question

Hello everyone.
    I've just bought an Audi A4 1.9 TDI 110. I'm a little concerned that the turbo might not be working properly as I've noticed when looking through the cars history that it's had problems in the past. I know it's not going to be the fastest car in the world as it hasn't been chipped but today when I was going up a steep hill it seemed very sluggish (I was overtaken by a corsa as well).
    Is there any way to check on the Turbo without having to take it to a main dealer?
    One more thing. The car didn't come with a manual so I don't know what all the buttons on the Air conditioning mean, could somebody talk me through them?

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status

Re: Newbie with Turbo question

Is the car smokey at all as this is usually what happens on a diesel when the turbo fails...... The 110 should feel reasonably peppy as it does have a lot of torque. Another common fault is that the air mass meter could be faulty - this can result in the loss of a lot of power.

Reverse Gear

Status

There's no smoke at all. I don't know what the air mass meter is I'm affraid. I think I will have to buy a haynes manual.
    Maybe it is because I'm used to a quicker car, it feels fine with normal driving it was just this hill that made it seem not very powerfull.

Reverse Gear

Status

I think I will do that then. I won't be able to get it done for a month or so now due to lack of funds. I'll keep you posted.

Reverse Gear

Status

Bout ye,
    I also am having problems with the turbo on my A4 TDI SE. I have been advised, as "RS4 Barry" has told you, to check my Air Mass Meter as this is quite a common fault with this engine. A new one apparently should not cost much over 100 (Fitted). Another guy suggested I should clean the "EGR" (Exhaust Gases Recirculator?) Does anyone know if this could be correct, or how to remove the EGR for cleaning?

Reverse Gear

Status

I suggest you get the car to your local independant expert ASAP. If there is something amiss (and it certainly sounds like it), you may be doing more damage by running it in its present condition.

Where abouts are you, maybe someone will recommend someone they know. A good firm will diagnose things without breaking your arm to fix it there and then. Not your main dealer though!

Cheers

Rob

Reverse Gear

Status

You've got me worried now Rob, I suppose I had better get it checked out.
    I'm in Bristol so if anybody knows a good place here let me know.