Homemade A-pillar boost guage pod.

stapo69

All hail the mighty quattro!
Reaction score
After finding a suitable boost guage, 60mm Swoosh backlit red, on good old ebay, I set about finding somewhere to mount it. A lot of people chop em into the vents, but don't always like to follow the masses, plus a 60mm was a tight squeeze anyway, I decided to see if I could knock summit up for the A-pillar, and I reckon it turned out pretty bob on!

Thought I'd post up a few pics to give people an idea of what I did, pretty simple really in the end.

Bought this with the guage.

DSC00217.jpg

Chopped it up to fit like this.

DSC00218.jpg

Then stretched some old t-shirt cloth over it to form nice natural curves.

DSC00220.jpg

DSC00221.jpg

Then coat with fibre glass resin from Halfords, then once dry and hard trimmed it up.

DSC00224.jpg

DSC00226.jpg

Then a quick wipe over with some filler to smooth out any imperfections

DSC00228.jpg

Blasted a bit of spare primer over it to tidy it up, waiting for some black headlining to arrive to recover the whole pillar for a nice OEM look, but wanted it in and fitted to see the result.

DSC00232-1.jpg

DSC00231.jpg

Looks pretty good at night too, a good match.

DSC00236.jpg

There we go, done! Hope you all like, I'll put the covered pic up when it's done.

Looks good i keep meaning to do that with mine, i have all the stuff bar the inspiration to do it...
maybe this will spring it !!

Cool, i need some headlining for a normal A4, i so need to do this now, thanks for the final inspiration matey

Looks great, wish I was that capable.

Pretty amazing what you can do with your hands and a bit of 'can do' attitude.

I'm good with my hands too, just in rather different areas :eyebrows:

N

Very nice job there looks awesome great bit of work :)

plenty of time to make a new gauge but not enought time to top up your water bottle :yes:

There's always someone isn't there! I think I've got a leak in the washer bottle, never really use it yet it needs filling up every week! So can't be ***** with it anymore!

Your headlight washer pump will be cracked. Cost you about £25 to get a new one and it can be replaced in 15 mins by taking the wheel arch liner out.

Did my tits in when mine had gone as you always get the warning beep every time you start the car.

How much did the gauge cost?

Gauge cost me £29 plus a little postage. Got it from here:

http://www.autodials.co.uk/

They sell all sorts of gauges, the silver fighter are the red backlit ones, not just boost in there, plenty of other options, accessories too.

The only difference between the Omori/AWE/VDO ones that most people use is that the needle isn't lit white, but the price difference is quite a bit.

nice work mate, i really like what you done there!

also nice site i just spent £87 2 gauges, a twin a pillar pod, and some more hose.

shame i cant hit the pay now button!! ill just have to stick with my normal bar reading boost gauge!!
29042008226.jpg

Finally finished this off, covered with black roof lining. Was a pain in the **** getting it stretched round all the curves, had to do it in 2 pieces, but turned out really well, pretty pleased.

DSC00275.jpg

I was going to cut my guage into th ecentre heater vent but after seeing this I think I'll buy myself a pair of those pods and do a twin pod for my A pillar.

Excellent work fella

I was going to cut my guage into th ecentre heater vent but after seeing this I think I'll buy myself a pair of those pods and do a twin pod for my A pillar.

Excellent work fella

you can get a twin pod. I have one ready to go, just ordered some light grey felt to cover it

did you have to buy the hosing and t-piece too or did they come with the swoosh gauge?

cheers

The swoosh gauge came with eveything you need to plumb it straight in no worries.

cool and where did you get the headlining from in the end?

ta

A guy on here found one in a scrappy near him and sent me some.

The swoosh guages match our red very well. I have the oil pressure and the boost the boost is spot on but the oil one is on its 3rd sender unit, they keep going faulty.

good old halfords...... i got the plasma gauge with color change.... matches the dash perfect!!! cant rtemember the make atm and i cant be ***** to go out side in the rain to look!!