where is the ABS controller?

Nige P

Reaction score
A4 2.8Q '99

Can anyone tell me where to find the ABS controller/ECU in my car? According to ElsaWin is should be under the rear bench, but it's not.

The problem is that I am regularly getting 3 loud beeps and the big warning symbol of death constantly flashing on the DIS along with the yellow ABS light - most annoying!. I did a VC and got:

01203 - Electrical Connection between ABS and Instrument Cluster
03-10 - No Signal - Intermittent

Now I am hoping it is just a loose connection as it states, but have also found a few scary posts on the web (mainly US) where this fault was found to be a screwey controller!

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Well it is in fact under the bonnet to the right where the entire brake lines meet by the power steering bottle it's the black box connected to the end of it. They tend to go and need repair or replace the whole unit.

Very unusual for it to be in the 'obvious' place!
many thanks, I'll have a rumage.

Looks like this, the black plastic bow bolted on the end.

http://www.ecu-testing.com/ABS_VAG.jpg

If you try their site, ecu-testing.com, they'll rebuild it for you at a reasonable price, which from the codes it looks like it could need it. You can unbolt it and run the car without it on, you'll just obviously loose your ABS while it's off. I had the same problem about a year ago, their turn around is very quick and they were very helpful.

Had exactly the same problem on mine, its is almost certainly the abs ecu (bolted to the side of the abs pump). The good news is that is fairly straight foward to fix. I removed mine and had it repaired by a shop that advertises on ebay :-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-A4-A6-S4...10372QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

His prices have come down a bit (cost me around £180) about 2 years ago. There is a good article on audiworld how to remove and refit the ecu (don't have to take the whole pump off)

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec116.shtml.

There is also article I came across when doing mine that shows you how to repair it yourself (you need to be vey good a soldering though !)

BTW main dealer quoted around £1000 for the part (pump and ecu) and £300 for fitting.

that is exactly the problem I have, thanks! Well at least I won't have to spend my weekend buzzing wires!

I will have a google for the repair article as I work at an electronics co so plenty of good solderers happy to earn a bottle of wine.

:(:salute:you are a star!

That looks pretty straight forward, if all goes well think I'll start banging them out on fleabay, easy money!

Don't spose you know how to repair the airbag controller in the A3? Another notorious VAG module which has failed in the wifes car

Thought i'd have a go at fixing mine when it went last month... but after seeing how delicate the soldering would have to be, I left it to BBA reman!

The_Borrowers_Holiday_Home.jpg