Badger5Monster Motorsport
    3rd Gear

Status

EPC light means a new throttle body

Well, the garage tell me that the EPC light means that the throttle body is toast.

The stealer wants like Ł650 for a new one. I think I have one on order for 299 plus VAT.

Hopefully, that, along with 2 new EGTs (160 inc VAT, each) should see the car back to normal. I have asked them to inspect the throttle body boot while down there.
    1999 S4, MIJ Performance exhaust with 100 cell cats

2. # ADS
    ADS

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    OUCH !!!!!

1st Gear

Status
    I feel it for you.....Think of the smile on ya face though once it's all sorted
    B5 S4 Kingfisher Blue.
    B6 A4 Atlas Grey 1.9 TDI Quattro Sport.

6th Gear

Status
    What the hell can go on the throttle body? Never heard of one failing on the 2.7T before.

Is yours a high miler?
    Mo power, mo problems

1st Gear

Status
    I had a very similar fault on the A2, the EPC light came on and it was running really sluggish, not wanting to rev and popping / backfiring though air filter.

After putting it on Vag Com the fault codes referred to the throttle body, so i decided to remove the electrical part and clean all the contacts inside with brake cleaner and contact spray, rebuilt it back together and it had never run so sweet, 3 months on and had no more problems.

I am assuming it will be a very similar if not the same set up on the S4:

Remove the wiring plug that goes to the throttle body then remove the 6 silver clips that hold the electronic part to the throttle housing then the electronic part can be removed by pulling it evenly and carefully away from the throttle housing.

Once removed you will see that there are 4 carbon tracks on a circuit board on the black part and in the throttle housing there will be a plastic cog with 4 contacts that correspond to the carbon tracks, this is where the problem is, bad contacts.

There will also be a lot of carbon deposit in the housing and on the circuit board, this needs cleaning, i used brake cleaner, let it dry and then contact spray. You can use a cloth to clean the carbon strips but becarefull of any wires. DONT clean the plastic cog with the small contacts on as these are very fragile and can damage easy.

Once cleaned make sure all is dry before putting back together, and finally do a TBA providing its running fine.

This worked 100% for me and could be worth a go if you are going to throw your TB away, if it doesnt work you've lost nothing.

Cheers J

2007 A4 3.0tdi Quattro S-line, Lava Grey Pearl, 229+bhp, 6 speed manual, Cruise control, Auto wipers/lights, Parking sensors all round, RNS-E Sat Nav, Heated Volterra leather, Adaptive Bi-Xenon plus headlights, Bluetooth phone prep/voice control, DRL, i-Pod dock, Coming home lights, A4 B5 front spring seat mod, LED DRL/side light/numberplate lights, Window tints, Cupra R front splitter, Black front grill, 3.5" custom tail pipes, 8.5x19 Calibre Excalibre wheels running 225/40/19, ET30-R ET35-F.

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    ditto, hardlt ever fail beyond repair.
    most respond to a damn good spray with carb cleaner!

3rd Gear

Status
    Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, the new one is on the car now.

If anyone needs an s4 throttle body....
    1999 S4, MIJ Performance exhaust with 100 cell cats