A4 2.5 TDi power steering

marshallar

Reaction score
Website
n
i've looked through the forums but couldn't find anything detailed. I have been told that i need to replace my power steering fluid on my 2.5 TDi. The bloke told me to find the rubber hose that runs infront of the radiator and to split this inorder to drain off the existing fluid. Power steering radiator? Rubber hose? As i see it, the refill reservoir sits on a manifold attatched to the servo. This "manifold" has 2 steel hoses which run to what i thought was the abs pump, so where do i actually drain off the fluid. Also, i went to my local car spares centre for the replacement fluid. I told the guy there that i needed power steering fluid for my audi, but was sold a universal fluid. I questioned the suitability of this, but was informed it would be ok. Upon reading through other articles mentioned on the forum, I now have my doubts. Please advise

You need to pull one of the black rubber pipes off that goes to the black plactic loop ( oil cooler) in front of the radiator. That will allow you to drian most of the oil off.

I wouldnt use anything except the mineral oil in these as anything else seems to make the seals leak, and then its a new rack job

thanks for the reply. Is that the loop infront of the rad at the bottom. I must be wrong, but i thought they were steel hoses. I'm sorry for my ignorance, but does this loop have some kind of electrical sensor, - my thoughts were coolant temperature

the resovoir on the servo is for the braking system, which is why the steel lines run to the ABS pump...

The PAS resovoir is near the front of the engine bay, behind the NSF headlight iirc

is changing pas fluid as simple as draining then then refilling, i thought there was more to it than that?
electrical thing by heat exchanger loop is temp sensor for external temp display, not connected to loop, loop is metal though, must have rubber join somewhere

pretty much

we did my bothers BMW recently and what we did was drain it by removing the feed and return lines from the resovoir and letting as much out as possible, then refit the feed line and covered the return barb on the resovoir (with a finger) we put the return line into a old bottle and started the engine slowly turning the steering wheel and keeping the resovoir topped up. This pumps all the old fluid out the rack into the old bottle. Once it was coming out clean we shut the engine off, refitted the return hose to the resovoir (quickly) and topped it off.

is changing pas fluid as simple as draining then then refilling, i thought there was more to it than that?
electrical thing by heat exchanger loop is temp sensor for external temp display, not connected to loop, loop is metal though, must have rubber join somewhere

so that heat exchanger loop is where i drain down the power steering fluid then - if i can find a joint?

Thanks aragorn, I've found the reservoir now - adjacent the screen wash bottle.
Many thanks for the help and advice

should be, must be rubber connector somewhere, i remember it moves about when you put lock carrier in service position

there are 2 rubber hoses that go to it, pick one and remove that stupid one use only Audi clamp and fit (iirc) a 15mm ish fuel pipe clip

i think they all use those silly clips, the beemer was the same.

Its part of the "filled/sealed for life" crap they come out with for things like PAS fluid and gearbox oil

all sorted now - i did have slight accident with fluid jetting out of the vent in reservoir cap. Many thanks to everybody for the help and advice. Byzan, did as you suggested - removed the stupid clip and replaced with jubilee clip.
Whilst doing this power steering fluid replacement, I also discovered why my air con wasn't as cool as it used to be. I thought it was in need of recharging, but i found the pump belt chewed up and the tensioner bearing shattered. A job for next weekend, but i dont fancy it as the belt routing looks impossible

2.png

keep this, serpentine belt tensioner is over engineered rubbish that wear out and throw belt off. took me about 2hrs of head scratching to figure out how to put new belt on without this diagram

thanks olds kool. If the main belt goes, i'm in serious trouble - that is some routing. Its going to be bad enough trying to replace the a/c belt. By the way, whereabouts in sot are you. I'm from werrington

burslem, not far. mine snapped (after burning through engine cover) down the M1 had to drive 50 miles with no power steering, not recommended!!!! but lucky it was on a straight and not mid corner

i've now got the a/c belt (in fact there were 2 belts in the pack) but have got to wait a couple of days for the bearing/tensioner. Do you think its possible to replace the belt and tensioner without taking grille and bumper off, because i cannot see the route over the crankcase pulley - its sort of semi enclosed. I understand the bumper and grilles have to come off to replace main belt, but just thought the removal may not be necessary for the a/c belt

i would put lock carrier in service position, haynes manual will show you but simply its bumper off, brackets off undo a few more bolts and whole front will slide forward, then it can be done from above and its a simple 5 min job

i looked for a haynes manual, but haynes don't do one for the 2.5litre v6 diesel. I'm going to have to get the a4 petrol manual - some repairs will still be covered. I keep hearing the "phrase lock carrier in service position" but never knew what it meant. I really appreciate the advice. I love trying to do these tasks myself, just haven't got the knowledge - but i'm learning

well worth getting one, still covers rest of car just not engine, good luck with it