Coolant Temperature Guage

filipharvey

Amusing Tagline
Reaction score
I posted this in the A6 lounge, but as a lot of you A4 owners have the 1.8T engine, I guess it would be applicable in here too.

Basically my guage is reading high at speed and normal at lower speeds.
Any ideas?

is it moving smoothly or eratically, eratically would suggest temp sender, by normal do you mean needle is pointing straight up 90 deg c ish

Yeh, normal being 90. It then goes up to 110 within about 10 seconds and doesn't generally (although I've only driven about 60 miles) go back down to 90 until I slow down.

Usually a knackered temp sender will under read or fail to read anything at all and often cause erratic idle & stalling. Sounds more like thermostat is stuck closed, but try the temp sender first as it's only £20 and a 30minute DIY job

id go with the thermostat first then, i had opposite problem with old car wouldnt reach normal temp so thermostat stuck open? only cost £7 for thermostat but £20 for correct red coolant.
fairly easy diy expect wet arm though and note which way round it goes, did mine on my new car when i bought it as i was flushing coolant anyway and it seems a common failure part so didnt want it to fail a few months after flushing system
i replaced sender first and made no difference so put old one back and added new one to my spare part collection, sender is at rear of engine 9opposite side to belts) if you want to change it.
andymac how did it take you 30 mins? 3 coffee breaks?

I'd go for the temp sensor, about £20 from Audi and as said, you can fit this yourself.

Just make sure the engine has cooled down, i made this mistake when changing mine. :)

Maybe even worth thinking about water pump
Part of the water pump breaks off
At normal steady speeds it is OK
Motorway driving the rest of the impella cannot keep up
So temp goes up
Has it been replaced before?
Sorry
Sarah

Maybe even worth thinking about water pump
Part of the water pump breaks off
At normal steady speeds it is OK
Motorway driving the rest of the impella cannot keep up
So temp goes up
Has it been replaced before?
Sorry
Sarah

Sounds like an idea.

makes sense!. you can get ones with metal impellars to prevent it happening again

When i replaced my plastic one it had bits missing all over.

Slightly, £20 vs £400 (as you'll need to do cambelt/tensioners etc at the same time)