VAGCOM

ALPINE

Yes its diesel, now cry u lost
Reaction score
ok paydays lerking, time to bite the bullet i think,

cheapest place for vagcom please people. also what lead do i need as ihave just looked on ebay and there is quite a few of them.

many thanks

the demo version doesnt do everything and the cheap cables dont work with the latest software, however i wasnt paying £200+ for something i could achieve for £10 on ebay and some surfing of the web so i went that route too

a few careful google searches later and its spot on.

cheap ebay usb cable, and you can download vag-com 409.1 from ross tech while you wait for it to arrive, but the odd genuine dongle cable comes up on ebay, i got one for £85, still not used its full potential though

forgot, vag-com software is free to download just search ross-tech

just got mine yesterday from alpha bid now for the install which one?:sadlike:

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/download/archives.html

i notcied this one "For the Ross-Tech TWIN-USB Interface:
(NOT for any 3rd party interfaces!)"
or
The most recent version for Interfaces based on Opto-Couplers is:
Release 311.2
Posted 16. November 2003

For ISO-COM and most Third-Party interfaces

mine is a USB one

409 is what you want, its the latest version that will work with the"dumb" interfaces. I also "found" the software, but cannot condone that :no:

you dont want the USB version for the ebay leads. The ebay lead has a USB interface which emulates a serial port, Vagcom talks to it with normal serial protocols so you want the serial version.

hi,i have the usb version,cost £10 from ebay.i can email you drivers for the usb cable and you need to set the usb cable up on comm port 2.This will alleviate the dumb port issue aragorn was mentioning.

Comm port 3, which is the only port vagcom will recognise, is the dumb port so it needs to be changed in task manager,with the usb cable plugged in click on ports comm and lpt,then it will reveal usb serial port comm3,right click and properties,advanced,and put it from port 3 to 2 and save.set vag com to port 2 and hey presto!!

hope this helps

i was more meaning that the USB versions of vagcom have a native USB option instead of the com port which doesnt work with the ebay devices.

lol people are getting confused. The cheap ebay leads use the serial vagcom design with a standard serial to USB convertor IC. Windows handles the serial to usb part and presents a normal serial port to vagcom to use. If you were to use the USB version of vagcom 409 thinking that it would work because you had a USB cable (from ebay) it wouldnt. As the cheap cables do not talk the RossTech USB protocol, they just talk serial over USB.

so which one should he download cos im really confused now!

me too is it the serial one?:tocktock:

For MODERN SERIAL Interfaces
(no optos):

Self-Installing EXE file ~1.1 MB
Works with Windows 95, 98, ME, NT4,
2000, and XP but does NOT support <<<<----------
USB Interfaces or interfaces based <<<<----------
on Opto-Couplers such as the old
ISO-COM or most third-party interfaces

but does serial one have drivers so computer knows what the usb device is for

i have both the serial and the usb,as aragorn mentioned it talks serial over usb so even though the vag com has a usb function it wont work.if you configure as above you will have no issues.

I have 311.2 and 409 working on my cheapo USB cable, just need to make sure the comm ports are 1 2 3 or 4 as it will not see anything higher

old_skool: The drivers are built into windows XP afaik, if not all the disk you get with the lead installs the USB to serial driver. Then you just point vagcom at the serial port(com port) that the driver has created.

ive got rosstech usb dongle, and just upgraded laptop after accident (laptops dont like fruit juice) so ive recently downloaded latest versions and drivers, i think thats why i was confused