ADR engines

Reaction score
Ive been offered a 97 a3 1.8 which needs a new head .The engine code is ADR which im told on the a3 forum is from the a4,which models were fitted with the ADR engines and does it have to be the same code head that goes on it ??

Mines an ADR. I think it's the late '97 onwards naturally aspirated 1.8's.

My old 98 was an ADR engine before i put the turbo engine in. Thinking about it, the a3 never came with an ADR engine, so it must have had a head swap at some point during its life

So will any 1.8 n/a head fit or does it need to be the correct code ??. Where is the code on the block as it may have had a complete A4 engine fitted prevoiusly and not just the head.Ive had another look at the engine (bottom end) Has AGN stamped on it !!

Ive been offered a 97 a3 1.8 which needs a new head .The engine code is ADR which im told on the a3 forum is from the a4,which models were fitted with the ADR engines and does it have to be the same code head that goes on it ??

A3 or A4??

sounds like its an AGN motor that someones fitted an ADR head to, the question is: if the head has already been changed, and now its up for sale again with more head gasket issues, whats the deal...

Its an A3, we dont know the history of the car so no idea if the replacement head was faulty or not put on properly or maybe as they were different codes they might not of been compatable ??. If i can get it cheap enough i may take a chance on it and budjet for complete engine swap.