EM TuningAH Fabrications
    Reverse Gear

Status

Customizing the HVAC

Hi everybody!

This is my first post here so let me salute all of you. Now to business:

I own an Audi S4(B5) from 2000 and would like to retrofit an RNS-E replacing my Concert I.

I've been researching everywhere but couldn't find any definitive pictures that would clarify my doubts. I know I must replace my single din console with a double din but then the picture is far from clear.

For instance, concerning the climatronic unit, I believe the part number I need is '8D0820043M B98' but I'm not sure. If it is, then according to the info on VAGCAT.COM it would cost a whooping 514EUR!

Since I can't afford to spend that much, and I can't find a suitable unit on eBay, I'm studying how to customize my own to fit. I couldn't find any pictures anywhere so I choose to take one of my console and draw an imaginary line in red with the same size and shape I imagine the double din HU has. See below:

Is this line correct? What puzzles me is that I would have to trim the part around the HU and not the HU itself to give it the same shape as the proper unit as bellow:

But since this piece is not connected to the main module how can I mount both on the new console afterwards?

Can anyone explain how this is done?
    Last edited by cochinada; 14th May 2008 at 23:54.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    I did the single to double swap but was lucky enough to have the right climate unit. As far as i can see you would need to trim your red line, but somehow stick or bond it to your existing climate unit. The double DIN climate slides in and locates with spring clips located on the bottom and top of the unit,does yours have these clips?

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    mark: do you have any pics of your double din install and the RNS-E fitted?

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Byzan A4 View Post
    As far as i can see you would need to trim your red line, but somehow stick or bond it to your existing climate unit. The double DIN climate slides in and locates with spring clips located on the bottom and top of the unit,does yours have these clips?
    That's exactly what I can't figure how to do it. If somebody could show some pictures and explain how to do it would be perfect.

Regarding your question I don't know, since I never saw my unit unmounted before or any unit for that matter.
    Last edited by cochinada; 14th May 2008 at 22:39.

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
    mark: do you have any pics of your double din install and the RNS-E fitted?
    I have the double din setup, but a single din HU at the min, as i want to get a touch screen GPS/double din unit at some point

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Reverse Gear

Status
    This trimming of the climate unit is far from being a trivial issue I'm afraid...