Customizing the HVAC

cochinada

Reaction score
Hi everybody!

This is my first post here so let me salute all of you. Now to business:

I own an Audi S4(B5) from 2000 and would like to retrofit an RNS-E replacing my Concert I.

I've been researching everywhere but couldn't find any definitive pictures that would clarify my doubts. I know I must replace my single din console with a double din but then the picture is far from clear.

For instance, concerning the climatronic unit, I believe the part number I need is '8D0820043M B98' but I'm not sure. If it is, then according to the info on VAGCAT.COM it would cost a whooping 514EUR! :scared2:

Since I can't afford to spend that much, and I can't find a suitable unit on eBay, I'm studying how to customize my own to fit. I couldn't find any pictures anywhere so I choose to take one of my console and draw an imaginary line in red with the same size and shape I imagine the double din HU has. See below:

CORTARAC.jpg

Is this line correct? What puzzles me is that I would have to trim the part around the HU and not the HU itself to give it the same shape as the proper unit as bellow:

f297_1_b.JPG

But since this piece is not connected to the main module how can I mount both on the new console afterwards?

Can anyone explain how this is done?

I did the single to double swap but was lucky enough to have the right climate unit. As far as i can see you would need to trim your red line, but somehow stick or bond it to your existing climate unit. The double DIN climate slides in and locates with spring clips located on the bottom and top of the unit,does yours have these clips?

As far as i can see you would need to trim your red line, but somehow stick or bond it to your existing climate unit. The double DIN climate slides in and locates with spring clips located on the bottom and top of the unit,does yours have these clips?

That's exactly what I can't figure how to do it. If somebody could show some pictures and explain how to do it would be perfect.

Regarding your question I don't know, since I never saw my unit unmounted before or any unit for that matter.:think:

This trimming of the climate unit is far from being a trivial issue I'm afraid...:sadlike: