Knocking noise from front.

low610

Reaction score
Website
www.google.co.uk
Afternoon all,

I'm hoping you can help me.

I've noticed my A4 has started to make a knocking noise when turning right only. I notice it more when making wide right turns such as going round a roundabout.

I'm sure i've had the c-links and/or the control arms replaced in the past. (3 yrs ago).

The car passed it's MOT about 5 weeks ago with a clean bill of health so i don't think it's anything obvious.

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be.

Thanks in advance,
Rob.

possibly the CV joint fella if its not the arms jack the car up and check the cv joint.

CV joint will usually click louder on full lock, so try driving in a tight circle and see if it becomes more prominent

The joint itself isnt too expensive (around £30) but if you cant fit it yourself then your going to get humped for a few hours labour for the swap.

CV joint will usually click louder on full lock, so try driving in a tight circle and see if it becomes more prominent

The joint itself isnt too expensive (around £30) but if you cant fit it yourself then your going to get humped for a few hours labour for the swap.

They will also clunk under full lock as well, just had to do both of mine and one was clicking and the other clunking but where fine in a straight line.

I don't think my car does this which makes me wonder if it's the cv joint.

I'm worried that it could be the steering rack as it seems to only happen when taking wide right turns or large roundabouts.

I'll try the full lock though to make sure.

Thanks again,
Rob.

can you describe the knocking? a CV would produce a nearly constant rhythmic knocking/clicking which gets faster with speed when you are turning and usually goes away when driving streight ahead... a suspension component knocking would be more randomised and may or may not become more prominent or faster with speed

mine is kncking at the moment but the ball joints are shot thin I have a cv on the way too but I'l do it all at once

I would say it's a more constant knocking when the wheel is turned in a certain position (usually sweeping right).

I'm hoping it is just the cv joints. :)

I've noticed this morning that the car also makes the knocking noise when turning left, although not as much.

Not sure if this makes a difference for the diagnosis. :)

Thanks in advance,
Rob.

Still could be the cv joint fella it flexis bothe ways remember, jack it up and check it out

Evening all,

I think i've found the problem, just stuck my head under the drivers side wheel and noticed a rubber sleeve (guessing cv boot) is split in two.

The other side is ok although it is cracked so prob wont last much longer.

Does anyone know roughly how much this is going to cost to repair.?

Thanks
Rob.

It's defo going to be a garage job, i can just manage putting fuel in the car.

Would be interesting to see how much the quote will be.

I'm just hoping the joint itself isn't damaged. It has been a few weeks since the knocking noise started. I hope i haven't pushed my luck by continuing to drive it. :)

TBH even if the joint is knackered, they can be had for around £20 to £30 anyway, and that includes the boot/gaiter

That's good to know, thanks for that,

I like to generally have a rough idea of costs before i take to the garage.

Thanks again for your help,
Rob.

I paid £70 at an independent to have both front outer boots changed (including parts). That was a pretty good deal, have done loads of these on Golfs in the past, not especially difficult a job if you have the tools, but horrible and messy. Wouldn't be any extra labour to change the joints as well, just the cost of the parts.

The CV joint is farily easy the full shaft will come out and you need to replace the stretch bolt in the if you buy the kit from audi it all comes as one, i did mine in about 2 hours or so start to finishbut i stripped the cv joint and cleaned all the crud out of it

Sounds like i shouldn't get stung for too much then,

I'm tempted to have the joints replaced while it's apart, i've done about 1500 miles with the knocking noise so might have done some more damage.

I'm going to a garage this morning so will keep you posted. :)

Thanks,
Rob.

I've been to the garage and have been told that because it's already knocking the joint has to be replaced.

The other side is ok and only needs the boot replacing so it's not too bad. :)