Air Con info

AndySTT

98 A4 1.8T Sport
Reaction score
Website
www.resilient-solutions.co.uk
Probably just a quick one guys...

I've recently bought a 98 1.8T Sport (great car!). The Air Con / blower is coming on for 3-4 seconds and then going off again for the same amount of time, regardless of if I have it on climate set temp, LO, HIGH, AC on or AC off. Does anyone have any ideas why this is?

I think the AC needs re-gasing (no problem, mate with machine), would this help?

Probably just a quick one guys...

I've recently bought a 98 1.8T Sport (great car!). The Air Con / blower is coming on for 3-4 seconds and then going off again for the same amount of time, regardless of if I have it on climate set temp, LO, HIGH, AC on or AC off. Does anyone have any ideas why this is?

I think the AC needs re-gasing (no problem, mate with machine), would this help?

Sounds to me like the heater fan (located behind the glovebox) might be beginning to pack up......particularly if the blower is intermittent, these fans are infamous for failing.

Just remove the glovebox and it's right in front of you. There's a metal bracket that needs to be removed to give you enough space to get the old blower out. Plenty of OEM blowers on ebay for around £70, the dealer price is around £300. It's a Valeo unit, so nothing to do with Audi or VAG.
It's probably the easiest DIY job you can do so no need to get a garage involved.
To be clear if it is the blower, then the climate control should behave normally, but just the blower doesn't respond to the fan speed showing on the CC.
If it's the CC that's not behaving itself, then that's a different problem.

Just looked at my earlier message, seems my ability to speak the english language left me for a few minutes there.

Just to confirm AndyMac - if I have the blower set at maximum it will come on at full tilt then stop for 3-4 seconds then come on again for another 3-4 etc etc. The fan display goes up and down to reflect this.

i dont know much about the climate control models, but thats probably nothing to do with the blower motor itself!

No, if the blower is obeying the climate control then it's not the blower at fault.
If the blower is faulty then it just doesn't do anything regardless of the fan speed on the CC. I would get someone to scan it on VAGCOM see if it throws up any errors.