0-60 times and gear changes

SonicDeathmonkey

Reaction score
I read in another thread that redlining the car in each gear is not the fastest way to get to 60 and betyond.

Can anyone explain the physics behind this? I would have thought that you would want the car to be in the high rev range, where the Horse Power is higher.

I guess you must take into account building boost, lag etc, but would be interested to know other peoples views on this.

[ QUOTE ]
SonicDeathMonkey said:
I read in another thread that redlining the car in each gear is not the fastest way to get to 60 and betyond.

Can anyone explain the physics behind this? I would have thought that you would want the car to be in the high rev range, where the Horse Power is higher.

I guess you must take into account building boost, lag etc, but would be interested to know other peoples views on this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the car. In the A3/A4 1.8T, you WILL get the quickest 0-60time by leaving it in seconds gear upto the 60 mark, but for a 1/4mile say, this will slow down the time as at the high RPM's there is not much power left!

Rich

If it just hits 60 on the speedo, youve not actually hit 60! the speedo is set to read slightly higher (-0%to +10%)

Your best bet would be to change into third at peak HP which in not sure about in the S4. On my A3 its about 6000rpm but m sure its very different on the S4.

Rich

You shouldn't really need to ask that question /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Maybe you havent had the car for long, but you must have a feel for the best place to change gear? regardless of what your instruments are reading /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SonicDeathMonkey,

You need to rise beyond the normal human limitations associated with the physical body. Reach out to the extremes of your spiritualistic nature. Feel the heights only normally reached by nurturing your own individuality. But yet in all this be focused and deliver satisfaction to all those around you. Never lose touch with your inner feelings. Be happy. Be sad. But remember above all else ...

!!! FEEL THE FORCE LUKE !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif

[ QUOTE ]
that wigginer said:
SonicDeathMonkey,

You need to rise beyond the normal human limitations associated with the physical body. Reach out to the extremes of your spiritualistic nature. Feel the heights only normally reached by nurturing your own individuality. But yet in all this be focused and deliver satisfaction to all those around you. Never lose touch with your inner feelings. Be happy. Be sad. But remember above all else ...

!!! FEEL THE FORCE LUKE !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

WHOOOOOOOOOOOO SOMEONE ELSE HAS GOT THAT NICE WEATHER FRIDAY FEELING!

Keep stoaking that bong my friend /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Curtis is right.....but folks please don't do this in your normal everyday driving /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Redlining it before changing up is definately not the way to get the best performance unless as stated earlier you're looking for a quick 0-60 time i.e. keeping it in second.

You should be able to feel that the power is tapering off the closer you get to the redline, and it's a matter of finding the point at which is does this as well as when you do change up making sure you are as close to boost when the revs drop in the higher gear. There is not a set method as if you've had it chipped then you reach your redline that much quicker and it's your peak torque/power will no doubt be at a different rev range, maybe lower, maybe higher than the standard map.

race something with similar performance, like a crx vtec???
In the UK they are onyl 150 bhp. I know that they weigh next to nothing, but they are nowhere near as quick as my S4. I believe that the stock 1/4 mile time on a crx vtec is between 15 and 16 seconds as opposed to 14 on the B5 S4.