Bargain A4 2.6 Avant - what remote key do I need?

chriswt

Reaction score
I've just bought a 1996 2.6 Avant SE Auto from Ebay for a bargain £650 to use as a work horse for a few months. Apart from the aircon needing attention (hopefully a regas but probably more than that!!) the car seems to be mechanically sound.

One problem is that it hasn't got a remote key and as my last (still miss her) B5 A4 2.8Q had a flip out 3 button remote I'm wondering whether I can buy one of these on ebay and have to configurated to my car?

The 2/3 button flip key will NOT work on your car.

The central locking pump is different on remote and non-remote models, the central locking pump on remote models has the radio frequency receiver built in.

To retro fit using OEM parts, would involve replacing the complete central locking wiring harness, the aerial is also built into the harness.

Your '96 A4 will have the old-style key blade (HA / AH?) while the later one is HAA. So, you'll also need to replace ALL the locks on your early car - both front doors, glovebox lid, tailgate lock, and the rear seat backrest locks, if fitted.

What about the remote kit available from vagparts?It seems to be oem as it simply plugs into the pump wiring as long as you have a total closure locking system at present.ie if you hold the key in the locked position it closes the windows and sunroof.It comes with all you need,no new keys are req as it comes with its own fob.All for around £90.:sm4:

Yes, the Vagparts kit's another option.

I just answered the query, as I assumed Chris was referring to the OEM flip / fob key.

If going the aftermarket route, he can by off ebay, for about £20.

Yes, the Vagparts kit's another option.

I just answered the query, as I assumed Chris was referring to the OEM flip / fob key.

If going the aftermarket route, he can by off ebay, for about £20.

I seem to have what looks like a infer-red receiver on the 'B' pillar (between front and rear side windows) of the car. Does that mean that when the car was new it had remote locking but over time the keys were lost?

All I'm after is remote locking so I guess any old system will do.

Yes, your car had the older IR system.

It MAY be possible to get the remotes from Audi, but at a cost...

You could of course, go aftermarket.

Yes, your car had the older IR system.

It MAY be possible to get the remotes from Audi, but at a cost...

You could of course, go aftermarket.

Thanks, I'll have to find out which is the cheaper route to go down otherwise I'll stick to the old fashioned key in door lock method :sm4:.

i only have one flip key remote, is it possible to buy one off ebay and get it coded to my car?

ok thats good news, was thinking i was going to have to spend £180 from audi for a new key. so whats involved when buying an ebay key? obviously first step is getting the blade cut, then whats the next step?

Jim, you can get the new key coded to your car.

The remote part can be done via VAG-COM, there's a write-up somewhere online.

It can possibly also be done, by leaving the original key in the ignition, switched on, and the door locked manually with the new key.

You then press the lock button, and the alarm should respond with a beep. If this doesn't work, then it'll be VAG-COM.

The immobilliser will have to be coded by Audi, unless anyone else has any other ideas?

ok brilliant thanks for the help.

do you know how much audi would charge to code the immoboliser?

just had mine done, with an ebay key, you do not have to go to audi

used a local firm (cool diagnostics, cheshire, n.midlands area) they used device to read code from instruments, then re-coded all the keys back in making any missing keys useless, they even supplied a new immobiliser part as ebay one wouldnt code in, charged £35, also gave me skc code so i can add more with vag-com myself, central locking ecu will hold up to 4 keys

also on ebay is a guy that will supply a cut, key blade from a photo of yours for about £7

make sure fob you buy has same part number