just a few questions

chrisuz

Reaction score
I bought my audi A4 in Feb 04, and would like some help and advice please. Sorry about the list!

1. I have seen on ebay a chip you can get for boosting your bhp by 20! Its on there for £4 does anyone know if its any good? Reason being is my audi seems very slugish! Its a 1.8 5V but could do with a bit of ummff!!

2. Does anyone know where I can get those lexus style lights without being ripped a new **** hole! Cheapest I've seen so far is £99.

3. Is a gas conversion worth looking at?

4. I could do with a new steering wheel, the leather trim is really worn. Any sites that could supply me with one and how hard is it to replace?

Finally are there any sites that are worth looking at for cheap accessories e.g alloys, gear knobs.

Sorry again about the list, I'm a new audi owner and need alot of help.

Chris /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Nothing is going to boost a standard 1.8 non turbo by 20bhp that easily, I would leave it alone.

WTF would you want to ruin your car with Lexus style lights ? Sorry can't help you wreck your car.

If you want your car to be even more sluggish yes, if you do a huge number of miles yes, otherwise no.

www.vagparts.com

First off, what year is the car? pre 2000 1.8T come stock with 150HP... well, at least they do here in north america.. GIAC/APR chip can boost that up to 197HP... 2001 and up has 185-190 HP already, there are chips that will boost it to 197 as well, but whats the point?

Altezza (or Lexus IS) light looks good, I agree, but ONLY on the Altezza.. keep it stock..........Make a sleeper car, put your money towards performance over cosmetic...

There are tones of things you can do the 1.8T, but that all depends on how much you are willing to spend

Oh.. Do allow me to apologize, I wasn't paying attention. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush2.gif I missed the non turbo part.. i guess this is a european model?

Sorry for the misleading info.

ok thanks for the advice. So how can I boost my cars performance without breaking my bank balance or upsetting the misses? I read on here that K&N filters are no good, any that are? Why will being gas converted make it more slugish? I can only assume you mean because of the added tank. Many thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

i think that LGP (gas) is only slightly but reduces performance instead of fuel just because of the combustion i believe. If you are going to change your air filter go for a sealed induction as that is where the noticeable gains ie: viper induction or a BMC avaliable from most modding places.

in terms of the 20BHP phonomenon from e-bay my friend fell for one of these "chips" it was on a corsa and sadly it made no difference the car stalled alot more and overfuelled to his mpg dramatically reduces and in the long run cost him alot of money to replace with a proper superchips one.

hope this helps

[ QUOTE ]
chrisuz said:
ok thanks for the advice. So how can I boost my cars performance without breaking my bank balance or upsetting the misses? I read on here that K&N filters are no good, any that are? Why will being gas converted make it more slugish? I can only assume you mean because of the added tank. Many thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

There is very little scope for increasing the power from the standard 1.8 litre engine. Hope you don't mind me asking, but if you're so dissatisfied with the car's performance, why did you buy it? I assume you did test drive it first, didn't you?

I fell in love with the audi A4 when they came out, and always wanted one. I test drove an audi 1.8 sport which was lovely but when I went back it had been sold. So I found an A4se in silver, drove it and bought it. I'm not dissatisfied with the car just was hoping to beef it up a bit.