New to the forum,have a clutch question.

audivro

Reaction score
Hi,have been looking for an informative forum and have definately hit on a good one.

Anywhoo,i have a 96 b5 1.8t that probably could do with a new clutch and have been told that a vr6 unit is a direct fit?Presuming this to be the case is it going to provide a better clamping pressure?Being a tech by trade; fitment isn't an issue but want to make sure it is do'able.

Also on this note i have read threads that these are fitted with a dmf!!:lmfao:If this is the case is there a solid unit from the vag range that will fit?

Many thanks in advance.

I dont believ the VR6 pressure plate will fit,and i have seen some conversion kits for various VAG models that convert to a single mass FW.
After lots of homework, i went for a SPEC stage 3 clutch and LWFW @ 16 lbs instead of 26lb for the OE one.

Thanks for the reply mate,Would that be a lightened dmf or solid fw.

Mine is a solid, with a sprung friction plate. Doesnt chatter noticably, i am sure if it were lighter it would chatter like a nudists teeth in the arctic

lol,may i ask where it was from?Thanks again

Ebay, Most of my car came from there one way or another.lol

The whole kit cost me £250/£300 imported from the US as the supplier put it down as a warrenty replacement

VR6 clutch WON'T fit - (who said it would??)

VR6 clutch is 228mm, 1.8T is 240mm.

the QH catalog seems to suggest the A4 1.8T has a 228mm clutch? Some V6's have 240mm and others have 228mm too?

All VR6 12V have 228mm clutch, including Syncro models.

All 1.8T clutches I've fitted have been 240mm.

100_1222.jpg

My old OE one was 228mm ^^^

Mark, your car was originally a 1.8 SE.

Just checked - there ARE 228 and 240mm clutches fitted to 1.8T.

Curious.

Yeah, that clutch was from my 1.8t engine/flywheel. Before i put the stage 3 on.

So it was a 1.8t clutch, IIRC the same as the OE 1.8se one.

****** cars