Turbo upgrade :)

dishwasher or pressure hose

FMIC has just arrived..

fmic_a88.jpg

Autobahn88 Front Mount Intercooler Kit

Need an actuator!! Anybody got one they can spare??

If I can get an actuator the plan will be to fit the turbo and maybe FMIC this weekend.

actually i think i have one from an old K03, that any good if i can find it?

EDIT. I have an apparently working K03 one, it holds vacuum with finger over end etc

actually i think i have one from an old K03, that any good if i can find it?

EDIT. I have an apparently working K03 one, it holds vacuum with finger over end etc

That'd be brilliant mate.. errrmmm where abouts are you based?

Is it possible to flush the turbo oil feed pipe?.. should I just buy a new one? Got to make sure everything's in tip top working order for the new turbo.

I changed the turbo on my B6 A4 1.8T to a K03s but didn't change the oil feed pipe, the turbo died 3 weeks later. I'd recommend changing it.

assuming the original turbo hadn't failed with oil starvation why would the oil feed pipe be an issue? If the old turbo was getting a decent supply of oil from the pipe why would the new one be any different.

Not priming the turbo properly before starting it would be more likely to cause bearing damage imo.

Not had any issues with oil starvation.. was planning on removing the whole pipe, checking for any signs of wear etc and then flushing.
Although if a replacement isn't too expensive I suppose I could just swap it.

Anybody bought one before? Rough price?

I think they're around the £45 mark for the B6, should be similar for the B5.

So...

SP_A0023.jpg

old K03 out..

SP_A0024.jpg

ready to strip down..

SP_A0031.jpg

parted the exhaust turbine housing to be reused..

SP_A0034.jpg

all clean and ready for SP51R..

SP_A0037.jpg

went together nicely with replacement actuator fitted too..

SP_A0032.jpg

turbo oil feed pipe removed and thoroughly cleaned..

SP_A0030.jpg

new intake hose ready to go (turned out to be a really bad fit)!!

SP_A0018.jpg

add some of this and it's ready to go..

Turbo's all fitted now and will be used for the first time tonight :kissmyrings:

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again for the actuator.. came early Saturday morning and is now bolted to my turbo.

Need some input..

Filled my new turbo with oil last night but due to other stuff going on I didn't get a chance to fill the engine with oil or run it.

I assume the turbo will have drained of oil over night but is now all bolted back into place.. will this cause an issue with priming?

Should I take the fuel pump fuse out and turn the engine over to fill the turbo without any exhaust gases spinning the turbine?

Sorted my N75 problem (broken connection) on Saturday and managed to get out for a test run with my new SP51R turbo.. impressed with the improvement over standard still on the original map.
When booted I'm hitting just over .6 bar/nearly 9 PSI and the boost is coming in much earlier than before.

Remap coming soon so I'll be looking forward to replacing my 1 bar boost gauge with a 2 bar :happy:

Also would like to know how a TT works with the AEB as i have one to install in a few weeks time.

Its easy to install, i can't fathom how to make the alarm to arm when the car is running, tho it will lock still so can arm it later on.
I followed one of the "how to's" on audiworld.
I ended up dropping the steering column shroud and wirirng mine in there, and positioned it kinda the knee bolster pocket on the left

EDIT
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec98.shtml

I'm concerned about the alarm.. being a 1996 A4 it locks with the key and arms at the same time.

Kind of pointless having the timer if I need to go back to lock it.. I might as well sit there for a few mins and turn the engine off myself.

If the box thing billybravo mentioned works with earlier A4s then that might be an option.

I only use my TT when the car is on the drive otherwise its a slow drive and a sit ticking over for a min or 2. There is a get around but it wouldnt work on mine she is a 98, tho i understand it worked for Markey

A quick update..

Having had time to get used to the new turbo (SP51R) I can honestly say I'm very impressed. Without a remap and with the standard N75 I'm seeing boost hitting 0.7+ bar/10+ psi.

I'm going to fit the new FMIC (and wheels) over the weekend and then get the custom remap sorted.

Another good point IMO is the sound from the new turbo when spooling up.. much more vocal then the K03.

Its a strange whistling sound isnt it, i like to play with the throttle to make it do it,lol

Mine is mapped and just scrapes 11psi, so i think i have a boost leak somewhere, then get it mapped and see what she is capable of after that

Yeah.. got a narrow road with factories either side as I leave work and I can't resist blipping the throttle to see what sort of whistle I can get lol

I can't wait.. really looking forward to seeing the outcome of the map!

Which turbo are you running now?

Cool thread enjoyed reading it, looking forward to more updates :cool:

Yeah.. got a narrow road with factories either side as I leave work and I can't resist blipping the throttle to see what sort of whistle I can get lol

I can't wait.. really looking forward to seeing the outcome of the map!

Which turbo are you running now?

The sp1x OUTLAW,stuck it on friday. Then went to GTi to sprint it,lol

Need a tune to make the best tho