Which estate model?

S3BeemerBeater

Reaction score
I'm looking to get either an 80 or 100 estate (or a cheap A4/A6) and would value peoples opinions as to the pros and cons and in particular, which specific model.

Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I can give you opinions on a 1993 100 Avant 2.6 and a 2002 A4 1.8T Quattro Avant ( both incidently rated at 150 bhp)

Had the 100 for 6 years and it was like part of the family ( felt sad to let it go .. for £2400 ) My 100 with the V6 2.6L engine was fast, obviously not a racer at lights but once on the road it went like a train ,with no mods at all. Audi V6`s have often been likened to turbines by impressed reviewers! It does respond quicker if you turn off the air con compressor though, but I never knew if economy was improved over the 26 / 28 mpg. I once drove for about 30 miles down the sweeping , undulating A30 from Exeter at a constant 100 with a Merc ,loaded boot and 4 people, I felt like I owned the road !
Strong body , thicker steel than nowadays, no rust ( galvanised even in 1993), very roomy inside , comfortable and well equipped ( including some bits the new A4 didn`t have). The boots not like a Volvo ( but hey !! ) but big enough for everything you could need on family holidays including small bikes and bodyboards. With the rear seats down I could lie flat and close the boot lid ( 6` 2" ). With roof rails you can carry anything . The boot has a useful hidden compartment for valuables and 2 big side compartments.
Only thing that ever went wrong was the air con compressor and they failed twice - don`t even ask about the price ! The 80 was one generation behind the 100 in design terms and nowhere near as big inside, the 100 was really no different to the first A6.
The new A4 is great; gorgeous to look at and with Quattro holds the road like nothing else. Smaller cabin than 100 / A6 so next car may be a new shape A6 but the A4 is beautifully made and designed. The engine was a dissappointment though. Same bhp but it took 10,000 miles to run in properly to full power and still is no faster than the old 100, probably the Quattro which takes some power.
Great cars both. Have fun !