seeking chip install instruction (8D0 907 557T)

phd

Reaction score
hi fellows

i am planning to get a APR chip or GIAC chip and custom chip(i think it is AMD or superchip ) from my friends who has ECU 8D0 907 557T as same as mine(1.8T B5 non tiptronic standard) to try see which chip i like on my ride.

my friends said this is only 1 chip i need to solder, then plug and play.

Because lack of quality tuners in my town, i have to install the chip by local electronic repairer who can solder on a PLCC44 socket in place of your standard chip. is it correct?

has anyone here can share the instruction on solder those chip on ECU 8D0 907 557T? or any pics? they mention i need to replace the chip which has yellow sticker on. :sorry:

cheers
PHD

Thanks for your info David. I got 2 pictures regarding solder the chip on (8D0 907 557T) and not sure which one is correct.

PIC1
SloppySuperchips.jpg

PIC 2
MikaTunedchip.jpg

Which one is the correct position to solder the chip on (8D0 907 557T) or both incorrect?

As my friend mentioned, I need to solder the socket and chip on the top of yellow sticker chip or I need to direct replace that yellow sticker chip. But compare with those 2 pictures, it seem like this is total difference story. Would anyone able to tell me or point out where I should solder my socket and chip in (8D0 907 557T)?:think:

Cheers
PHD

Thats the same ECU with 2 different chips, the first has an encoder board fitted hence its mounted beside the original position and glued on, the 2nd is after when the OP put the GIAC chip in it , that doesnt need an encoder board, hence the chip fitted dirrect into the socket. IIRC the OP had to file the chip to make it fit properly

if i only get the chip come with socket (the brown thing to suck the square chip 11 pins each side), where would it be the place i solder the chip? Pic1 or Pic2?

Let us know how they compare,
I plan to get one of these chips (APR or GIAC) this month.
cheers

i will get the custom chip first (i think it is AMD or superchip ). after i will try the APR and GIAC. at the moment, i still need to know how to install the chip on my ECU (8D0 907 557T) and make sure no mistake on solder the ECU. please help me those audi experts. find the right place to solder the chip.

The chip is in the same place on both pics,it goes where you see the white stickered square chip, in that socket.The 2nd pic has a chip in the socket that is connected to an encryption board that is mounted on blck gunge beside the chip socket.

as you can see on pic1 the socket and the chip is not solder the same place as Pic 2. although they both solder on the socket but the socket has been solder in difference place.

in PIC1, the socket has covered the black mark.

in Pic2, there is nothing cover the black mark and the socket has been solder on top of the factory chip (i think that is factory chip).

does it mean i just need to remove the standard chip and solder the socket and the tuned chip in the same place on PIC 2? i have a bit confuse now.

it goes where the brown socket is in the second pic. the brown socket won't be there on a standard untouched ecu, if you are swapping chips out then you are advised to socket it before hand. if you are borrowing chips then be sure they will fit ok as you don't want to ****** them up.

to be homest i don't think you'd notice a lot of difference between the chips.

oh and the first pic. it has the small pic chip and the socket main chip on a daughter board that is soldered to the main board right under the small chip, it is hard to make out at first.

i'm interested in that small blue wire, i guess it must be supplying extra voltage to something, maybe the daughter board needs a bit more oomph in the first pic.

it goes where the brown socket is in the second pic. the brown socket won't be there on a standard untouched ecu, if you are swapping chips out then you are advised to socket it before hand. if you are borrowing chips then be sure they will fit ok as you don't want to ****** them up.

to be homest i don't think you'd notice a lot of difference between the chips.

does it mean i need to remove the stock chip completed (the small chip in PIC 1, the one next to the brown socket and under the green sticker chip). and install the socket and tuned chip in the same place like Pic2?:think:
PHD

i'm interested in that small blue wire, i guess it must be supplying extra voltage to something, maybe the daughter board needs a bit more oomph in the first pic.

I remember a conversation with Geoff Everett (The original founder of AMD). He said that it was not uncommon to see extra jumper wires in ECU's, usually due to mistakes between the design and manufacturing process!

the small chip in pic 1 is not a stock chip, it won't be there on yours.

the first pic has the main chip to the left attached to it's own circuit board which goes to the right over the stock chip location, sitting on top of this daughterboard is the small pic chip.

so in pic2 you see the chip in it's original location where yours will be, but on this picture it has been socketed.

to be honest, soldering these chips is difficult, i can't help but think you may damage your ecu.

ecu1.jpg

Here's one I made earlier! You need to replace the one I highlighted with red circle.

ecu1.jpg

Here's one I made earlier! You need to replace the one I highlighted with red circle.

thanks for your picutre. what chip did you use? i got the one come with brown colour socket and small square chip 11 pins each side. before i solder my new chip there, do i need to desolder the factory chip. has anyone here has the factory ECU photos (no solder any chip in it, then i can compare.) you guys are great. :lmfao:

cheers
PHD

As I understand it the socket replaces the stock chip and allows you to switch from stock to chip if need be as the chip just pop out of the brown socket.

Here mine on my old 2.8 Supercharged ECU

GIACecu.jpg

thanks for your picutre. what chip did you use? i got the one come with brown colour socket and small square chip 11 pins each side. before i solder my new chip there, do i need to desolder the factory chip. has anyone here has the factory ECU photos (no solder any chip in it, then i can compare.) you guys are great. :lmfao:

cheers
PHD

De solder the old chip, solder the socket on nd insert new chip. Make sure the orientation is correct on the socket, so the chip sits in the same dirrection as before, there will be a corner missing on the OE chip, and a notch on the socket, they need to be facing the same way so the new chip has pin 1 in the same place

De solder the old chip, solder the socket on nd insert new chip. Make sure the orientation is correct on the socket, so the chip sits in the same dirrection as before, there will be a corner missing on the OE chip, and a notch on the socket, they need to be facing the same way so the new chip has pin 1 in the same place

i have found the stock ECU picture in other forum.

ECU_stock.jpg

do we just need to solder the brown socket and chip in place of factory chip(the red dot) and it should be ready to go?:weight_lift2:

cheers
PHD

can i just ask - and don't be offended by it.

you are asking fairly basic questions and these chips aren't that easy to solder, do you have the correct equipment and skill needed to do it?

i just don't want to see you screwing up your ecu.

can i just ask - and don't be offended by it.

you are asking fairly basic questions and these chips aren't that easy to solder, do you have the correct equipment and skill needed to do it?

i just don't want to see you screwing up your ecu.

I will pay to the electronic repair to solder it for me. There are very few tuners who can mod the euro car in my town. This is my first time to mod euro car. It is totally difference to my GTR. I use standalone ECU, not the chip. This is a reason I ask a lot basic questions and I try research a lot regarding ECU information but not many forums can provide the info in euro spec. I can common you guys are great. Thanks for help.

Cheers
PHD :meeting: