ABS Warning light

SmoothAssault

Will design for mods
Reaction score
Website
www.matteasom.com
I've replaced all my discs and pads and now my ABS warning light is on. Will this just be because I stupidly didn't get front pads with wear sensors? Or could it be something else?

Thanks.

These are the brake warnings I have showing up...

A4B5Dash-BrakeWarning.jpg

(yes, I know my dash needs a clean :p)

You can bypass the wear indicator lights by putting a small loop of wire from one side of the connector, where it joins the pad, to the other, so bridging the connection. Stops the warning lights coming on when you don't have the wear indicators. I found this had been done to mine when I came to change the pads the other week, my mate did the same on his S3 too.

Does your ABS light go out when the ignition is on? We disturbed the connection on the S3 when we did a cv boot, pulling a wire out and breaking the connection, fixed it back to the sensor and all was fine, maybe one of your sensors has been knocked when the brakes were changed?

Thanks for the reply. The ABS light stays on ALL the time the ignition is on. So does the bigger warning on the centre screen.

How were your little loops of wire held in place? just electrical tape? Or something a bit more substantial?

Ok, I've been having a look at the connectors today and I'm not quite sure what I am supposed to be bridging.

There is a connector left over (I'm assuming from the old pads) that had the wires cut. (I stripped them as much as I could). Then there's the connector that the one from the pads plugs in to.

A4B5FrontBrakeWearConnector.jpg

Am I supposed to be bridging the two stripped wires (as shown in red), or pushing some wire down into the other connector (shown in yellow)? Or am I messing around with the completely wrong bits, lol.

Thanks. =]

Found this on auditech, from installing pads on the S4. For shorting out the wear indicator. These look just pushed in, although a couple of spade connectors or solder would sort it all a bit better, then seal with tape.

wheel39_clip_image014.jpg

So as for the other connector I'd assume it's the remains of the ABS sensor although I can't be sure, however the other end could be there somewhere and could maybe reconnect somehow. This could've been yanked out when the brakes were done, only thin wires, pretty fragile. Maybe find a local parts place, see if you can have a look at an ABS sensor? See what they look like in comparsion?

Although now I've looked for A4 ABS sensors there s a connector on there that looks very similar to the red side, can see it here.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....077750&tGUID=2ed793b01190a09c1412b9e2ffa24049

So now I'm confused, and as mine's an S4 the set up could well be differnet on mine. Maybe have a play with each of them, try wire on each see what happens? Although don't hold me liable, just an idea! Should be able to get rid of the big wear indicaor arning to start with at least. Sorry I couldn't help more, but maybe someone on here with the same car could? Surely one of you guys has done your pads before? Help a brother out!

I worked it out. My first mistake was assuming the problem was my fault, lol. When I had my brakes done I also had my drive shaft rubber gators replaced too, as well as all the wheel bearings. When the guy was doing the driver side gator he knocked something to do with the ABS and that's what cocked it up.

So with that solved the ABS light went off and I just connected the two wires from the old brake pad connector (as shown in red), sealed with tape and plugged that into the connector shown in your photo. Which worked; no more brake warning light but I'm not sure if it's a permanent fix. The light came back on once on the way to Bedford, then on the way back it stayed off. I'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Thanks for your help; I wouldn't have got far without it :salute:

Glad you got it sorted mate. Maybe just a loose connection on the wear indicator, not a problem though.