steering rack

tonydwyer

Reaction score
have just had my steering rack replaced on my 97Q. mechanic has told me to drive the car for about 100 miles to bed in the rack and track rod ends before i need to have the tracking done. however, the steering wheel seems to be out by a quarter of a turn. once the tracking has been done, will the steering wheel return to the right position or has he put the rack on wrong?

Yes, it will go back to it's normal position, providing it's tracked right.

Bedding in a rack and track-rod ends? never heard of that, unless the mechanic was busy on the day it was fitted?

100 mile bed in, hmmm i like it. That sounds like i am busy so take the car away and when the tracker guy tells you how far out it is, the mechanic can say say you must have done it by curbing it etc etc

well, had the tracking done and the steering wheel is now in place, but on one track rod end, the thread is fully out and the other side is completely wound in which leads me to believe the rack may of been attached in the wrong position. been told to wind them out evenly and take the steering wheel off and put it in the right position! will this work? also have noticed that im still getting a whining, groaning noise when the steering is turned. could this be just an airlock?

my steering wheel is on wonky also.... tracking seems ok as car dont pull :confused:

geeza i bought it from did say its had a new rack.

i have noticed a slight amount of play in steering too.

any ideas??

well, had the tracking done and the steering wheel is now in place, but on one track rod end, the thread is fully out and the other side is completely wound in which leads me to believe the rack may of been attached in the wrong position. been told to wind them out evenly and take the steering wheel off and put it in the right position! will this work? also have noticed that im still getting a whining, groaning noise when the steering is turned. could this be just an airlock?

The rack can only be fitted in one position.

But, you car's been tracked by a lazy tech. It means you'll have more lock one way, and less the other.