S4 avant towing weight help wanted

OllyS4

Reaction score
Could some please confirm this for me.
I don't have a hand book and the sticker in the boot is missing.
The car is a 1999 S4 avant 2.7 biturbo
I would like to know the tow weight, ball weight and the car weight and any other info you think i might need to know about the car when towing.
Cheers
Olly

If i read it rite it is braked trailer 1800kg and unbraked trailer is 750kg.
Could any one confirm this from there hand book?

tip:don't forget the trailer is there and take any sharp corners!

i don't have an s4 but can confirm the max weight for any unbraked trailer regardless of what is in front of it is 750kg

Could some please confirm this for me.
I don't have a hand book and the sticker in the boot is missing.
The car is a 1999 S4 avant 2.7 biturbo
I would like to know the tow weight, ball weight and the car weight and any other info you think i might need to know about the car when towing.
Cheers
Olly

If its any help I've retro-fitted a Genuine Accessory Votex detachable towhitch to my Avant (its a Westfalia item and is identical to the factory-fitted detachable towbar option) and the fitting instructions state
"the tested drawbar ratio is 10.1kN.This equals for example, a trailer load of 1800kg and a permissable weight of 2400kg"....
I've no idea what the 2400kg figure is all about though, I've always understood the limit to be 1800..........
The ballweight is 75kg.

i'll have a look in my manual, but i have towed 2000kg with my TDI avant and would not recommend it!:wacko:

Thanks everyone. I hope to tow a mk2 golf (964kg had it weighed) on a light weight car tailer 130kg so should be well in and under the 85% rule.

The legality is that you cannot exceed the manufacturers towing limit. Unfortunately in most cases this is greater than the unladen weight of the car and people tow up to it not realising this is unsafe if you are inexperienced.

The 85% rule is best kept to as if the trailer exceeds the weight of the towcar and you got into trouble it could turn in to a case of the tail wagging the dog.

If you are experienced at towing and drive sensibly it is possible to tow more than the car weighs safely assuming that this is in line with the car manufacturers towing limits.

I sold caravans for ten years and used to tow everyday and have regularly towed large caravans that outweighed the tow vehicle for great distances and never had any trouble what so ever.