Sky InsuranceEM Tuning
    6th Gear

Status

Rear Electric Windows

Hello there, i be a newbee in here so hello everyone. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    I have just bought a W reg A4 1.8T Sport, it does ont have rear electric windows, but i would like them fitted. Does anyone know if the electrics are there already do i can just connect the switches and the, window mech etc??? If so i could get some from the scrapy and do it myself. Just though i would ask to see if anyone knows before i take the door cards off and look myself.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status

Re: Rear Electric Windows

Why would Audi make it that easy?
    No there is no wiring in place. I looked at doing this on my 2.8Q (38k car with manual rear windows!) and it is a major task as you need to run all the wiring including the controls on the drivers door. So even if you can source all the bits and the loom, it's a couple of days work to install it.

Status

I also have the 2.8Q with no rear electric windows, but as Andy said it a major job and costly. I'm looking to buy the door switch panels and buy one of the after market kits and rig it up that way.

I'm also going to see if I can rig it up to a drivers main control switch (4 button control unit), but this will require a lot more thought and work. I recon just buying a after market kit and Audi door switch control (secondhand) should work, just have to work which wire does what.

Electric Window kit
    Original parts option (not cheap but looks like a interesting option)

Reverse Gear

Status

I dont understand Audi's thinking. In the US I don't believe you will ever come across an Audi with manual windows, let alone cloth interior. Does anyone know why they market such different vehicles in the UK? I have only seen a handful of Audi's without leather here and any time I view a users ride from UK I hardly see leather. Just curious.

Reverse Gear

Status

My A4 has no center armrest [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Gotta get one of those suckers..

Grumpy Old Man

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    AndyMac said:
    With you there mate, cloth seats? Utter madness.

Cloth seats? Popular with vegans, apparently. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif[/img]

Status

Vegans in cloth shoes?

Grumpy Old Man

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    AndyMac said:
    Vegans in cloth shoes?

[/ QUOTE ]

I know! Funny how you don't see many vegan bikers, isn't it?

Grumpy Old Man

Status

Meanwhile, back to the topic. Andymac, it was me who said electric rear windows might be a delete option because, according the profile of my car on the Audi UK website, the original owner oredered it with leather, but "without electric rear windows". I couldn't see why it would say that unless it was a delete option, but the more I read contribitions to the forum, the more people I hear of who have manual windows in the back of a 2.8 Quattro. I can't see that so many original buyers would delete leccy in the back, so I'm coming to the conclusion that you were right. They were just a normal optional extra, (which was a bit stingy when you think about it.)

Neutral

Status

Yeah, my 2.8 quattro avant has manual rear windows! A bit pants (imo) but not enough to put me off buying the car last year. Not desperate to change them to electric but would have thought it's not too difficult with the right gear and enough time!

Status

Ahhh Jeff, sorry I couldn't remember where I got it from. But yes, incredibly stingy on such an expensive car. Even my lowly MkIII GTi (yes the slow one) had leccy rear windows as standard.

5th Gear

Status

Don;t bother with the after market universal kit. they are noisy and rubbish and also need holes drilling to mount them!!!! just get the normal audi regulators from a scrap yard. also get the new door cards with the switch in. you could get a wiring loom for them or just do one yourself.

Grumpy Old Man

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    AndyMac said:
    Ahhh Jeff, sorry I couldn't remember where I got it from. But yes, incredibly stingy on such an expensive car. Even my lowly MkIII GTi (yes the slow one) had leccy rear windows as standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't bother me that much, though. After all, I'm never travel in the back, do I? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]