what would u do

johnyj

Reaction score
have an oppotunity of getting a gsi chavalier for peanuts and was thinking of selling my 18ts
then saving for something else maybe and dont shout an s3
either that or sell cav on and get turbo for a4
any suggestions??

i like both the same really but s3 has stronger pistons and k04 already thats only reason

this one is j reg and only the normal rear arch rust
got 17" alloys 2 are bent 100,000 miles but has 4x4 16v engine would b ok for a year of saving and could sell for same price as i got it
looked on autotrader and these are goin 4 £1000 for a good one

sell a4, buy chavalier, save for s3, buy s3, turn chavalier into track day toy?

I would just buy a Mk2 golf as a run around while saving. They look cool as they are and should still be reasonably reliable.

this one is j reg and only the normal rear arch rust
got 17" alloys 2 are bent 100,000 miles but has 4x4 16v engine would b ok for a year of saving and could sell for same price as i got it
looked on autotrader and these are goin 4 £1000 for a good one

ADVERTISED for a grand,............but only the very good ones actually SELL for that ;)

I'm a Vauxhall fan and spend most of my forum time on VXON etc, but I wouldn't touch another GSi with a barge-pole.

I've owned several (and SRi's, Turbos, CDi's, GLi's, LS, TD, Diplomat etc etc etc), but the GSi with it's IRS suspension is a complete rust nightmare, hence i broke a few for parts.

Underneath that big pretty plastic bodykit lies rust, rust, and MORE rust. The skirts act as a pair of water traps, and the chassis rails and spring seats have rotted through on most.

Far harder to chase rust on these than on 'normal' Cavaliers that are without skirts and have the conventional rear beam.

Then you'll have the hugely expensive 4X4 Transfer Box issues .........

And then there's the floorpan...............

Ditto that! ;)

The only danger is that the Audi becomes the run-around while you get stuck into the Golf... :blush:

Thats also true :)

Keep away from the vaux not worth it at all just save up for the S3 the normal way if you want, but remember half the money you would save for the S3 would turn your A4 into an easy S3 killer.

cheers for the warnings about the gsi dan ill have a look
hes suspension has been changed to koni adj but will look at the rust issue.
mk2 golf i take it u mean gti? not ganna motor around in 1.1l for a year..
as for s3 cant stop thinking of a imola yellow one i saw on here (sigh)

Total nutcase LOL!!!

I'll see you over on VXON then with your list of faults and questions :blownose:

got one already idles up and down from cold what have i done...

just clean it out with carb cleaner like the a4?

Yes they do, i used to have this on my old cav. I did buy a new one in the end as they got cheaper, but a short term fix is to blast and soak in carb/brake cleaner or similar

cheers have been doing some research on my next purchase and have found the following:

audi s3 good cond 1999 - 2002 around 7-8k but need either nogy blue or yellow v rare
golf gti anniversary (180 bhp) 2002 around 7-8k black or silver is nice
what you think?

The ICV on a C20XE engine is a complete penis to get to matey lol

The ICV on a C20XE engine is a complete penis to get to matey lol

this brings back memories Dan, i loved and miss the tourqe of the GTE16V you just dont get that from a lazy V6

is it not on the top near the throttle body?

this brings back memories Dan, i loved and miss the tourqe of the GTE16V you just dont get that from a lazy V6

I found the lump in my GTE to be fairly torquey ;)

IMG_1600.jpg

its the non porus one does that make a difference?