quattro suspension upgrade recommendations

farmerq

Reaction score
My facelift 99 2.8q has 135,000 and i think it is time for a suspension upgrade.I find it understeers a tad to much. Would stiffer arbs help. I don't want anything too low or too hard. Am i right in thinking that the quattro has sport suspension fitted already? If i were to fit shocks, which ones do you recommend.

A few of the guys of RS246 have fitted the H&R arbs and say the difference is great. Some have since reported that their rear subframe has cracked a little so they are getting some support brackets made up then all should be fine. The H-sport ones from the US already come with brackets so I would probably get those.

I believe the Neuspeed ARBs come with the brackets as well.

I fitted H&R arbs to mine. It did make a difference, but not dialled out the understeer as much as i'd like. I also found that with the fat rear bar set to the softer setting, the arb kept hitting the driveshafts!

Thanks for the replies.I was looking at the audi diy site and it shows that the neuspeed comes with support brackets. I fitted an eibach one to my mk4 golf and it made a big difference. Although this was in addition to the original one.
I fitted H&R arbs to mine. It did make a difference, but not dialled out the understeer as much as i'd like.

Did you fit both front and rear? Did you do anything else to the suspension? Do you feel it was worthwhile for the money? Sorry for all the questions

I fitted both front and rear. I first fitted them onto the car with my standard S4 suspension which had covered about 80k.

They certainly reduced the body roll, it goes nice and flat round the corners now, but the difference wasn't as life changing as a lot of owners seem to suggest.

That's the problem with these forums, I think people read how amazing something is, then as soon as it's fitted it's "totally transformed" their car. I think the placebo effect has a lot to do with some things!

If your standard shocks are in good nick, I would recommend ARBs over coilovers simply because I think the benefit/£'s was more for the ARBs than coilovers.

I only went for coilovers because I had a leaking damper. I actually preferred the ride of the standard S4 setup with the H&R arbs.

Thanks for the reply. I think i'll have a look at some anti roll bars. How easy are they to fit. I haven't really looked much yet. I remember on the golf that the front subframe had to be lowered. Hopefully the a4 will be a simple swap.

That's the problem with these forums, I think people read how amazing something is, then as soon as it's fitted it's "totally transformed" their car. I think the placebo effect has a lot to do with some things!
I find this quite true. Especially with tyres. People drive until their tyres are below the legal limit, then fit new ones and say they "have totally transformed" the car. Same with having knackered suspension and new suspension. Comparisons need to be done like for like. ie new vs new

Yeah saw some US sites there just a pain to order from.