AWE Boost Gauge Fitted

norad97

Reaction score
fitted gauge today, easy job! just need to wire the lighting.
i do not like the wiring position as stated by AWE.
I am going to wire to one of the lighting wires for switches like rear fog lights, then the gauge light will be on the lighting dimmer.

just one tip: if you buy the AWE gauge get yourself longer vac hose, the one supplied is to short for right hand cars.

AND, HOW DO YOU READ IT?

Does the AWE read in bar of pressure, as opposed to psi?

I linked the wire from the illumination to the heater vent lights, and soldered the wire to that. Well, I tell a wee lie, my mate did lol! If I attemted that, id me adding to my injury thread... 3rd degree burns attempting to solder wiring in car!!

PIIIIIICS please!

Did you not route the vac hose through the ECU box? Have you fitted the gauge to the rightmost vent?

As for reading it, you'll find it's on vacuum most of the time, even on part throttle. Mine sits around -18 on idle. Had me worried when I first fitted it because I was expecting boost at part throttle.

They're only useful to see what your boost level is when you've got your foot down. I know that my car should be running 19psi at full throttle, so I don't need to be worried unless it either a) doesn't reach 19psi or b) takes longer than normal to get there. That would of course indicate a boost leak.

Here's a pic of mine fitted - need to get a resistor to the illumination part though.

DSC00490.jpg

Knackered oil temp sensor?

You have the faded line on the computer screen aswell as me then :)

Nope, car just hadn't been driven when I took the pics so hadn't warmed up and the DIS has always been knackered. :(

Note the S4 fuel gauge at it's 'favourite' reading - "Feed me!"

Does everyone else have slightly blue needles? When Mattfinn came for a spin, he said he thought his were white.

Is that to dull it down a bit ?

Yes, as you can see from the photo, it's brighter than the other dials. I figure if I can find the right resistor to use, I should be able to get it to match the dials better.

I wire my boost gauge to the lighting feed on the rear fog light switch.
Pull out the switch, two thin wires, brown is ground and live is Grey/Blue.
Spliced and soldered into these wires and the gauge now works from the light switch
and the dash board dimmer.

I went out in the dark for the first time tonight, the bottom right quarter of the gauge is not lit and also the needle, maybe the bulb has moved?

On tick over my gauge reads 20 inHg, I booted it and went to 10 psi ?
I that right?

Hay,
any chance you can post the web link to the place you bourght the vent mount from.
iv just purchased a boost gauge but havent been able to decide where to put it, after seeing yours my mind is made up!

Andy

I cut my existing vent up. They pull out really easily.

Marked it with a stanley knife around the gauge, cut the blades with a hacksaw then filed it down to get the fit right. Took about an hour I think.

And best of all, it's free!